What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Samsung Galaxy Note II Review Comment Thread

WhippWhapp

Picked one up today, going to see if it can replace my Nexus 7 so I don't have to carry two devices.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
We wanted to bring the Note to Europe with us but that won't happen since Telus unlocks most other phones....except the high end Samsung ones.

chrisk

Folding Captain
We wanted to bring the Note to Europe with us but that won't happen since Telus unlocks most other phones....except the high end Samsung ones.

You don't need the carrier to unlock a Samsung phone.

I have used these guys a few times:
Cellunlocker.net - #1 Unlock Codes for Network Cell Phone Unlocking

Prob cost about $30 for a high end phone. You will need a sim card from another carrier (ie. Bell, Rogers) to trigger the unlock process. The sim can be inactive.

edit: you will most certainly find other sources that will sell you an unlock code for much cheaper, but this company I listed seems to be pretty popular and stands behind their service. I found them through howardforums and have seen them mentioned in a few places so thats why I went with cellunlocker who tends to be a little more pricey.

Last edited:

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
That will negate the warranty on the phone. That won't fly.

chrisk

Folding Captain
That will negate the warranty on the phone. That won't fly.

Unlocking your phone does not void your warranty. Rooting might, but not unlocking.

Any sources? The site I gave you explicitly states that with Telus the warranty is not voided, but of course they are selling you the code. I am looking for a document on Telus' site that says a hardware unlock (vs unlocking through some kind of root method) will void the warranty.

edit 2: I also posted the question over at Howardforums, and WorldiRC (works for Bell...pretty reliable source in the past) agrees that unlocking does not void a warranty.
Unlock code void Telus Note II warranty?

Last edited:
M

member 3099

I've never heard of a SIM unlock voiding warranty myself, only bootloader unlocking/ rooting. For a samsung phone to be warranty void you'd have to trip the flash counter, which a SIM unlock does not do

Soullessone21

Just talked to my telus rep he says $75 and telus will unlock any of their phones and it does not effect warranty. Unlocking a phone through modded baseband will 100% void warranty though.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Just talked to my telus rep he says $75 and telus will unlock any of their phones and it does not effect warranty. Unlocking a phone through modded baseband will 100% void warranty though.

Want to clarify this soulsy...modded baseband..that is a software unlock right? Any modified software will void a warranty, but a hardware unlock code will not. If this is the case, we may have a breaking story here.

Will getting the hardware unlock code from a place like cellunlocker.net (that gets the code from an external server) void the warranty? An unlock code via that method involves no software flashing/modem modification whatsoever.

Last edited:

Soullessone21

Want to clarify this soulsy...modded baseband..that is a software unlock right? Any modified software will void a warranty, but a hardware unlock code will not. If this is the case, we may have a breaking story here.

Will getting the hardware unlock code from a place like cellunlocker.net (that gets the code from an external server) void the warranty? An unlock code via that method involves so software flashing/modem modification whatsoever.

Only unlocks done directly any physically on the phone void the warranty. Unlocks done through serial and or IMEI do not void the warranty and will not give u issues updating.

So cellunlocker in normal cases should leave all warranty in tact.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Only unlocks done directly any physically on the phone void the warranty. Unlocks done through serial and or IMEI do not void the warranty and will not give u issues updating.

So cellunlocker in normal cases should leave all warranty in tact.

Awesome thanks! Yes, cellunlocker uses the IMEI number to unlock (this is why it is very imp to give them the proper IMEI when you request a code btw...)

$75 vs $30...I would not do it through Telus.

Latest posts