What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

$1000 Wireless acesspoint... WHY?

mattydies

So I was just snooping around NCIX and I came across this

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Online PC Discount Store, Buy Computer Accessories

I am a techy, but I am not a network guy or a computer professional or anything of the sort.

What is the difference between this item and a wireless router?

It looks as if you can add 6 antenna's to this Wireless Access point. Can the antenna's be on a cable and placed throughout a building to allow for a MUCH larger area of coverage?

It says it is " self-healing, self-optimizing wireless". What do these things mean?
Does self healing mean it should never need to be rebooted/reset?

BlueByte

The coverage should be better then a residential router, but not by huge amounts since the client device needs to have a decent antenna on it to send. These will provide a more even coverage, and are not made out of the crap bits that make it into a $60 router. I imagine they even spent the 10 cents on a heat sink. Big thing here will be a centralized management system that comes with cisco, think of a place with a few hundred of these. I like cisco products they don't screw around with support, I have had a free overnight-ed switch upgrade because they didn't have any of the model needing replaced handy.

mattydies

The 'clean air' thing sounds like something that appeals to me for the small motel I work at. All the electrical power wiring (and cable and phone wiring) is in the center of the building and it causes interference, preventing us from using a single wireless router. But there is NO WHERE to put one at the other end of the building other than inside a motel room - Which I would rather not - People like to unplug things to borrow the outlet or to make the room pitch black to sleep.

I guess they must use better components... LIFETIME WARRANTY? I thought those things were extinct!

Could this use antenna's that are on a cable? To further spread them out?

enaberif

So I was just snooping around NCIX and I came across this

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Online PC Discount Store, Buy Computer Accessories

I am a techy, but I am not a network guy or a computer professional or anything of the sort.

What is the difference between this item and a wireless router?

It looks as if you can add 6 antenna's to this Wireless Access point. Can the antenna's be on a cable and placed throughout a building to allow for a MUCH larger area of coverage?

It says it is " self-healing, self-optimizing wireless". What do these things mean?
Does self healing mean it should never need to be rebooted/reset?

Why do stupid posts like this come up for?

They are a industrial grade router to span large areas such as clinics and hospitals.

mattydies

Why do stupid posts like this come up for?

They are a industrial grade router to span large areas such as clinics and hospitals.

LOL... Glad to hear about the coverage.

I'm trying to learn a few things quickly. If they are as I HOPE then it is well worth my time to hit up Google and spend some hours learning more. Then maybe see if I can find one that is not AS EXPENSIVE. It would be nice to have things set up a bit better at my work, and if the Gazeebo out front and the workshop out back had wifi access (even if it was half strength) well that would be pretty amazing.

Not paying an electrician to wire a socket in the closet of a room to hide a 2nd router would help with some of the cost too! Plus the idea of a guess possibly unplugging it on purpose or by accident is a HUGE plus. The wifi at the one end of the building is hit n miss right now, and our busy season is about to start!

My interest in this item (or one like it) is much less speculative, and more serious than it likely seems.

Could the antenna's be on say... 20' wires? anyone?????

BlueByte

If you are only looking at one or two AP dont buy these. Get a decent small business grade one, HP pro curves are not badly priced from what I remember. Meraki thats now owned by cisco would be a good solution as well.

If you are going for easiest install with good coverage & management grab a bunch of Meraki's.

The max range on ALL these units will be roughly the same give or take a bit. The quality of coverage in that space will be better on the $1,000 unit. You cant run 20' lines off that $1000 unit... well you can but it will suck.

Last edited:

mattydies

If you are only looking at one or two AP dont buy these. Get a decent small business grade one, HP pro curves are not badly priced from what I remember. Meraki thats now owned by cisco would be a good solution as well.

If you are going for easiest install with good coverage & management grab a bunch of Meraki's.

The max range on ALL these units will be roughly the same give or take a bit. The quality of coverage in that space will be better on the $1,000 unit. You cant run 20' lines off that $1000 unit... well you can but it will suck.

Hmm... I have only noticed consumer and enterprise units. I did not realize there is a middle of the road here. Cool.

How long can the antenna's be for a unit like the above Cisco? Is it best if it uses the little antenna's that are like 6 inches long with no cable?

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it. It looks like I will have some more to google and read in my downtime.

BlueByte

Hmm... I have only noticed consumer and enterprise units. I did not realize there is a middle of the road here. Cool.

How long can the antenna's be for a unit like the above Cisco? Is it best if it uses the little antenna's that are like 6 inches long with no cable?

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it. It looks like I will have some more to google and read in my downtime.

RF Techs would know more about this but basically unless you have the umph behind it the signal will degrade too quickly to do long runs. You would need inline amps and that just causes complications and costs. In the end you would not save anything by attempting this. Just get enough units(with 6" antennas) to cover the space. The only exception is if you have a long run(gazebo??) you could use directional antennas extend the range to that building. If you did do this you would want one of the multi headed Meraki on both ends one for the range shot and one for the local coverage.

Latest posts