What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD FX-6300 upgrade($120 budget.)

RUSTY

the thing is with his board alot of people have had problems overclocking there 8350 on it.
even the 2.0 version.
so if he has to change his motherboard also than he will have to save even more.
6300 to 8350 there is not a big diffrence in gaming specialy if he overclocks it.

RUSTY

clock for clock it's the same speeds.. a 4ghz 6300 is the same as a 8530 4ghz
they both also have usually the same overclock wall

MARSTG

you should be looking for a used core i3 or i5, even the non K ones, and a lga 1155 mobo if playing the latest games is on your to do list. Personally I think the most cost effective setup for gaming would be a used Asus 1366 mobo and a quad core Xeon CPU. The Xeons are used at default speeds in servers so they have a long life ahead of them and overclock well. There are plenty used quad core Xeons on ebay. Get one at 2.4 or 2.53 GHz, slap a CM212 cooler on it, overclock it 50% and you will have nice gaming setup. You would find some cheper Asus mobos at Ascendtech.us

The RealRollo

Banned
If you're going to spend money, the time is here to switch to intel.

Even the top of the line FX-8350 is inferior at gaming to midrange ($200) intel solutions, the 8350 loses at almost every game, often by a lot.

EDIT: I say "almost" because I hate absolutes, but I can't remember seeing a benchmark where a 8350 beats a 4670 in gaming.

Last edited:

great_big_abyss

EDIT: I say "almost" because I hate absolutes, but I can't remember seeing a benchmark where a 8350 loses to a 4670 in gaming.

I think you mean the other way around.

While I agree with you in absolute fact, I think that since he already has a motherboard and can just buy an 8350 and drop it in, the difference in performance from an 8350 to an i5 will be negligable. The 8350 won't provide an inferior experience. If anything, he'll be bottlenecked by his video card, which is the way it is supposed to be.

The RealRollo

Banned
I think you mean the other way around.

While I agree with you in absolute fact, I think that since he already has a motherboard and can just buy an 8350 and drop it in, the difference in performance from an 8350 to an i5 will be negligable. The 8350 won't provide an inferior experience. If anything, he'll be bottlenecked by his video card, which is the way it is supposed to be.
Thanks- I fixed it.

On the rest, I don't think people should buy AMD cpus anymore. It's just throwing good money after bad.

If he had bought a midrange $200 intel 2500K in January 2011 when they launched, he'd still have a CPU that beats AMDs $800 FX-9590. Almost two years later.

What does AMDs $200 chip from January 2011 look like in benchmarks these days? A 486 or some other antique.

AMD has been so far behind for so long that IMHO, buying their products is pretty much like lighting money on fire.

AMD FX-8350 Processor Review: Tuned-Up Bulldozer. Page 6 - X-bit labs

Intel’s Core i5 remain the best gaming processors with a pretty significant performance advantage. In other words, we continue to claim that contemporary gaming systems shouldn’t be built on Socket AM3+ platforms.

Most review sites won't say this because review sites need to get review parts. People like us should say it.

This charade of "Well every couple years AMD puts out a new weak cpu that I can put on my ancient motherboard and get a little more performance than I had" should end.

Paying $200 for a Vishera is like paying $40,000 for a Nissan Sentra SE because you had some seat covers that fit it, when you could have bought a 'vette.

upcoast604

Paying $200 for a Vishera is like paying $40,000 for a Nissan Sentra SE because you had some seat covers that fit it, when you could have bought a 'vette.

Then find him an i5 "k" series cpu + Mobo for $200 then.

Your link refers to 1680x1050 and even fc2 pumps out 118.xx fps then you get to modern games and it narrows, factor in that 1920x1080 is more standard these days the margin narrows some more.

By all means find me an i5 unlocked + xfire/sli mobo at $200 I might jump over the fence too, that is what the OP will pay for his upgrade $180-200.

Latest posts