What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Hackintosh

enaberif

To me, Hackintosh's are only good for experimental use, not as a daily driver. And if you wife wants a Mac, she wants an actual Mac. There's no way she wants a PC with OSX on it, that's just not part of the "lifestyle" :bleh:

Except that is exactly what a mac is now. A pc running OSX with FreeBSD as its backend. :haha:

JD

Staff member
Except that is exactly what a mac is now. A pc running OSX with FreeBSD as its backend. :haha:
Exactly, thus my comment. The only reason people buy Macs is for the perceived lifestyle/status and design of the physical machines. I don't believe they care much about the internal hardware or OS. It's to show that yes, I own an Apple product, look at me!

And the fact is, Macs have come down in price quite a bit and are basically equal to a decent Windows PC you'd buy from a store. I'm not sure what this talk of a 500% markup that the OP is mentioning. If you took Intel's NUC platform and compared it to the Mac mini, I think the cost would be pretty similar. Likewise, the Macbook Air starts around $1k which is what a typical Windows Ultrabook would cost with similar specs and build quality.

I don't like Macs by any means, or any Apple product for that matter, but if I wanted one, I would want the real thing. Not a knock-off Windows PC running OSX.

If you just want to play with OSX, then install it within VMware. No need to put it on physical hardware.

moocow

Exactly, thus my comment. The only reason people buy Macs is for the perceived lifestyle/status and design of the physical machines. I don't believe they care much about the internal hardware or OS. It's to show that yes, I own an Apple product, look at me!

Not completely true. According to my sister, the design industry is so entrench in Mac and the fonts that they use ain't even available in PC so basically she is stuck with a Mac. To avoid cross platform issues, she basically have to use a Mac since the clients and the print shops all use Mac. Trust me, while she like the styling of Macs, she don't really want to pay for the premium. The only reason she later got an iPhone is because she's entrenched in the Mac OS ecosystem. Right now she's running a Q6600 w/ 8GB of RAM Hackintosh and an old CD (that's right CD, not even a C2D) MacBook Pro.

JD

Staff member
I was under the impression that fonts were cross-platform by design....

I always wondered why people claimed Macs were "better" for design/graphics, and I guess you might have given me one example why.

enaberif

Not completely true. According to my sister, the design industry is so entrench in Mac and the fonts that they use ain't even available in PC so basically she is stuck with a Mac. To avoid cross platform issues, she basically have to use a Mac since the clients and the print shops all use Mac. Trust me, while she like the styling of Macs, she don't really want to pay for the premium. The only reason she later got an iPhone is because she's entrenched in the Mac OS ecosystem. Right now she's running a Q6600 w/ 8GB of RAM Hackintosh and an old CD (that's right CD, not even a C2D) MacBook Pro.

Fonts are fonts.

OSX uses .ttf same as windows.

Going to say that they can be used across both platforms as I've used Windows .ttf fonts in Linux.

moocow

From Googling, Apple and Windows version of PostScript and TrueType aren't cross platform compatible. If any designer want to use only cross platform font, they are stuck with OpenFont. The most important thing here is that it should look the same on screen as on paper / poster. Sticking with a Mac eliminate this problem. It's similar to Airbus A380F using different CAD software version between design groups which led to problems.

Due to differences in their structure, Mac and Windows PostScript Type 1 fonts are not cross-platform compatible.

Available for both the Mac and Windows formats, there are slight differences in the TrueType fonts designed for each OS therefore Mac and Windows users cannot share TrueType fonts.

PostScript Type 1 Fonts as Used in Desktop Publishing

TrueType Fonts (What They Are and How To Use Them)

Last edited:

stlouis1

I may have to test the font thing, I've never tried to transfer fonts. I've got two hackintosh's and both work great, though it took a little tweaking to get them there, but once they were setup, they just work. I haven't had the same luck with laptops though, which is why I ended up just buying a macbook.

There are certain things that just work better on mac, and I use mine mostly for audio production. I use external soundcards and for whatever reason, Windows cannot run the gear at the same low latencies as OSX without losing audio quality, stutters, crackling, etc. I find MIDI devices also tend to be a lot easier to get started with on Mac, you plug them in and they mostly just work. Windows already needs a driver and it's annoying

Illustrator and photoshop on mac I tend to like, I can't speak for newer CS6 versions, but in the cs5 i have, your palettes and tools and all that are their own windows, its handy when your working across multiple monitors because you can stretch things out, you're not confined to 1 window like are on...Windows. I prefer it anyhow

I know for my own needs, there are just some things that I prefer Mac for. some things just work better, some things don't though, goes both ways which is why I like to keep at least one of each around. I used to have a linux machine as well, but now days anything I might have needed linux for, or wanted it for, I can do just as easily on Mac

The Quicken

I use various OS's and many different brands of hardware. The more I learn about Linux the more I despise Windows (I have to support a Windows environment at work).

When it comes to hardware, Apple tends to be top notch and pays attention to the "little things", details. I have VMWARE servers at home running windows and linux but I got rid of my pc laptops because they were always too big and too bulky. I considered the ASUS Ultrabooks and lenovos but I ultimately settled on the Mac Air.

My Mac Air i7 Haswell, 8GB of RAM with VMWARE Fusion running any other OS I might need is perfect for productivity, versatility and portability.

If your comfortable with UNIX/Linux CLI you you can install a lot of Opensource software, with or with CLI.(CLI is just more fun IMO):bananafunky:

yamawho

I built my 1st one the week OSX came out and put it in the Kitchen (iMac style) so everyone could try it. About 6 months later I purchased from Apple online a new late 2009 Mini running SL using the education discount which was 100$ off at the time. Although we have no lack of computer around here, the Mac was for me but my kids used it a lot for iMovie mostly for school projects and Garage Bands.

Recently I was shopping for a new Laptop for my daughter's 18th birthday ... what happened to all the netbooks, they seem to be extinct :shok: Anyways looking at these 600 to 1400$ laptops running Windows 8 was just not going to happen. I started looking at the Macbook Air 13.3", what a nice machine! I purchased at the Apple store since Bestbuy had no stock and Apple price matched Bestbuy and got it for 999$.

I used to think I was saving $$$ but in the end its nice to own such beautiful hardware. That touchpad is awesome and the speed with the Haswell cpu and new ssd is great. So in the end she is happy with her computer for school and me well ... I am typing this on an old Dell Latitude D630 that I just resurrected today with a fresh install of Linux Mint 15 XFCE.

Latest posts