What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

which ssd?

rfglass

I have just received a OCZ Vertex4 128 G back from an old Octane RMA.(they just sent the vertex and did not even look @ the Octane).
I will be doing a OS re-install on my Desktop PC which has an Intel 520 120G ssd almost 2 yrs old in it atm, And was wondering which ssd would be better in the desktop? And then the other one will be put into my APU powered HTPC. And yes both my desktop and HTPC have large HDD's in them also.The HTPC will be running Linux Elementary and Desktop Win7.

Slik

Either one either way really. Intel is a better SSD than a lot of people think. I know,I had one and switched to a Samsung 840 Pro 512gb. I'm not impressed with my Samsung. 45 seconds to reboot.

Dzzope

Either one either way really. Intel is a better SSD than a lot of people think. I know,I had one and switched to a Samsung 840 Pro 512gb. I'm not impressed with my Samsung. 45 seconds to reboot.

Something wrong there, Think I'm on about 12 from hitting reboot to being on a web page and browsing.

I would put the intel in the HTPC personally, it's older but probably better for the non-TRIM environment (That is if there is still no TRIM in linux)

Slik

Something wrong there, Think I'm on about 12 from hitting reboot to being on a web page and browsing.

I would put the intel in the HTPC personally, it's older but probably better for the non-TRIM environment (That is if there is still no TRIM in linux)
How do you have your SSD configured? I've never had that kind of speed for a reboot. Not with the Intel either.

Dzzope

ok.. it was actually longer (just timed it, 30 sec inc bios etc which is not affected by ssd speed) cold boot is 12. :)
Muuuch faster than my last ssd and fairly in line with any benches I've seen. How long does it take for yours to get past the bios?

Erm.. basically I have it set in AHCI with all the nasties (indexing, temp files etc) disabled or on the hdd.. nothing major, just the standard precautions against unnecessary writes.
Actually it's the stuff in AKG's thread on ssd's.

AkG

The Vertex 4 is good kit. The Intel 520 is very good kit. Honestly you cant go wrong with using either one in your main rig. I would probably stick the Intel 520 in the HTPC as it will encounter less writes there and where it is used this will help extend its life well into the future. With that being said the Intel 5 series is one of the few consumer grade SSDs that I still use and trust in my own rigs....the rest are usually enterprise SSDs (even my HTPC uses 'cheap' Kingston E50). Take from that what you will. ;)

Latest posts