What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Asus Crosshair V issues with booting or shutting down

I just got this board on Friday last week from a good member here. I have been having lots of problems with it.

I have used 3 different sets of ram, and two different video cards a 7950 and a GTX 580, as well as cpu's. I have used a fx 8350 and a fx 6300.

The issue in the beginning was UEFI bios, i could not move my mouse and only use the keyboard. So I updated the latest bios. I downloaded the bios, put it on a usb drive FAT32 and updated the bios.

It was successful. But however the issue still persisted. The issue is, If I shut down the system or restart the computer from Windows, windows shut down, but the computer does not. All fans, lights and hard drives still spin and go. And until I either take off the power cable or press and hold the power button on the case, it will not shut down.

And when you boot it back up, everything comes on spin etc, and get the beep, but nothing on the video. Unless I then take out the power cable, clear cmos and the reboot.

Its just a lot of pain, and I cannot have the pc running 24/7 because of my 4 year old daughter.

Also, I tried to take out the ram and video card, and tried updating the bios through the ROG usb slot and urning on the ROG switch on the mobo.

Nothing helps and same issue, is there any other thing I can try, or I have to RMA it???????????

I really dont want to, as I just started at my new job last week and I use it build reports in the evening and this is my only running system at the moment.

Thanks again.

Just tried RMAing and I think this has passed the warranty date, as ASUS is now asking me to provide proof of purchase. This is the first time ASUS rma has ever asked that. And of course I dont have it, and now I can't RMA:doh::censored:

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Sounds like an issue I've had with my own CH5.
If my system hangs up from an OC (cause I suck at maxxing OCs) and i try to shutdown or restart, ill get what you're getting - nothing on screen but fans and lights are still on.

I also have a second issue: when I turn my PC on, most of the time i lose signal on my screen before reaching the login window to Win8.1. However, if I restart (reset button) ill reach the login window everytime. Weird.

Never experienced your mouse issue in BIOS, but then again I don't really use a mouse in bios... just feels odd. haha

Sounds like an issue I've had with my own CH5.
If my system hangs up from an OC (cause I suck at maxxing OCs) and i try to shutdown or restart, ill get what you're getting - nothing on screen but fans and lights are still on.

I also have a second issue: when I turn my PC on, most of the time i lose signal on my screen before reaching the login window to Win8.1. However, if I restart (reset button) ill reach the login window everytime. Weird.

Never experienced your mouse issue in BIOS, but then again I don't really use a mouse in bios... just feels odd. haha

Yea it sucks unfortunately and I cant even rma now. Hopefully I can buy a decent used board soon. As I cannot have this running 24/7 because of 4 yaer old daughter.

sswilson

Staff member
Are you sure it's not a power supply issue? ( I had something similar with my AM3 sabertooth that I thought was motherboard related until it went away after a PSU swap... ;) ).

Probably not the same issue, but what used to work for me WRT shutdown was to turn the PSU switch off once the windows shut down was obviously finished, and then clear residual power on the system by pressing the power button with it still off. System used to boot normally every time if I followed that procedure.

It was a pain in the rear end, but seemed to work for me.

Are you sure it's not a power supply issue? ( I had something similar with my AM3 sabertooth that I thought was motherboard related until it went away after a PSU swap... ;) ).

Probably not the same issue, but what used to work for me WRT shutdown was to turn the PSU switch off and clear residual power on the system by pressing the power button with it still off. System used to boot normally every time after that.

It was a pain in the rear end, but seemed to work for me.

I dont have another PSU, and it works really well. I know that because I have been using it for over a year now. And just before this set up, I had the x79 set up, which I took out as I want to build it with another set up.

Justin Cider

I had the same issue of the mouse freezing in Bios,flashing never got rid of it. I just ended up using a different mouse

Helios79

From what I have seen online through the ROG forums, there have been a lot of RMA's for CH5. Too many issues to list such as freezing, no POST, the list goes on.

Latest posts