What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

May I introduce XForma

JD

Staff member
PC enthusiasm gone awry.
Yeah, "limited edition", "premium", etc, are all terms becoming far too common in the PC segment. I guess since hardware has basically stagnated, they need to market new products and entice us to buy them somehow.

So is "XForma" replacing the "Murderbox" branding? That seems like a bad move since they're throwing away their brand recognition.

Personally, I don't find it that unique either, especially at the price. We've seen TJ07's for countless years, along with all the modified ones that had MBX parts. Sure, it's a fairly timeless design, but it feels that for $2000, one could commission their own custom-designed case and stand out from the crowd entirely.

clshades

I'm pretty sure I would rather spend 1200 bux on modding tools and accessories to make my own stuff in a cheaper case than spend that much money on something that may be a little outdated.

MacJunky

[snip]this isnt for everyone, the same way a Ferrari isn't a Ford. Both are incredible in their own rights,[/snip]
As far as personal opinion goes I am one of those Ford guys, especially with this InWin Q500. :rofl:
However I do understand that some people want to plop down lots of cash for a dressed up case.

I still agree with hades though, spend the money on tools and some time learning so you can customize your own cases for the rest of your life.

Dzzope

Some of the features in this can't be easily made, which is why it was $2k initially and now it's 1.2k.. For low run numbers the costs increase dramatically, especially when you have to purchase donor cases or the rights to build their chassis, on top of your own fab and costs.

I still LOVE the look of this, especially in white lights and coolant.

That said, the cost of this isn't it's biggest problem, it the age. As the guys above have said, the features are soon / have already been made defunct by new tech / methods.
Bring on the MBXIII I say.. Keep costs more in-check do a bigger run and modernise the features.. Reckon it would sell quite well@600 - 800 bucks

If you were to update the features / design of the MBXII what would you do?

JerrysPCBuilds

Yeah, "limited edition", "premium", etc, are all terms becoming far too common in the PC segment. I guess since hardware has basically stagnated, they need to market new products and entice us to buy them somehow.

So is "XForma" replacing the "Murderbox" branding? That seems like a bad move since they're throwing away their brand recognition.

Personally, I don't find it that unique either, especially at the price. We've seen TJ07's for countless years, along with all the modified ones that had MBX parts. Sure, it's a fairly timeless design, but it feels that for $2000, one could commission their own custom-designed case and stand out from the crowd entirely.

IMO I think they changed the name from Murderbox to Xforma to sound more professional. I do agree with you that they are throwing away years of branding.

The case is gorgeous and the time and attention to detail spent on this shows but if you have the tools and the same level of meticulous attention to detail you can achieve something similar if not better for half the cost in a better case.

Vittra

$1250 for the BASE model???? hahah i'm sorry but that is retarded., how did they come up with that price????? Why on Earth would you even consider paying half of that for a base model case when a phanteks case looks nicer or even a modded case like this one looks much better....

My experiences with Phanteks are thus:

1) Purchased a heatsink from Amazon that did not come with everything. I returned it.
2) Emailed them several times to inquire about fans, was flat out ignored.

I don't support companies with terrible practices (QC/CS), regardless of how cost effective or well engineered their cases and other products may be. Their whole "Dutch" schtick when their stuff is obviously made in China is also also a source of annoyance.

I'll reiterate what I said in the other thread. I won't deny it isn't a beautiful case. It is flawlessly engineered. But it was engineered for 2009. I also wouldn't compare to a Ferrari but rather a Bentley. It won't be for the fastest machines or the quietest. But it will be beautiful and well equipped.

Enthusiasts with the money to spend on a $1250 - $2000+ case likely have a server/NAS for their mechanical storage needs. SATA SSDs are soon to be a thing of the past. Optical drives, ya no. So the seriously over engineered SATA hot swap cage is IMO completely unnecessary.

There also isn't enough radiator space in it. Lets say you want a quiet system w/ a pair of 290s and a 4930K/5930K. Which if you are buying an $1800 case you'll likely be running at least a pair of high-end GPUs. Sorry but 5x120mm just won't be enough if you want the fans running under 1000 RPM. There is just no way you'll be seeing any quad GPU setups in this chassis. Not unless you are running high speed fans.

I pre-ordered the first two times they attempted to sell. But that was 2+ years ago and the market has changed. I'm not about to spend $1900 + taxes + freight for a chassis that will be IMO outdated within a year. They should have ditched Silverstone from the beginning and designed the chassis from scratch. Then find someone capable of building it. Charles and Callen have been inspirational to me and I hope it works out for them. But for me, the chassis just came way too late.

I think that if one were to lay any criticisms, lowfats post is absolutely spot on.

I think, though, that this project has in part has become a game of catch up that had to stop. They were trying to keep the case relevant by adding new features here and there over time, but the emphasis on attention to detail and perfection runs contrary to the pace the tech industry moves at. The past ~8 months have seen a lot of really good cases that rival this one in terms of feature set, and yes, cost. In terms of fit, finish and attention to detail, this is the top of the heap, but companies like CaseLabs cannot be ignored for the quality of their products and endless level of customization and modularity their cases provide.

I think this case will still appeal to enough people to fill their limited run numbers, and while yes, producing a larger run would lower cost, I'm not so certain enough people would buy the amount of units that would need to be produced for a significant price drop.

b1lk1

I am so out of the scene that to me this is a foolish waste of money. My PC sits open air on my desk, if I showed my desk area most would cringe, lol. Never mind a Ford guy, I am a Dodge guy.

Chromey

I am so out of the scene that to me this is a foolish waste of money. My PC sits open air on my desk, if I showed my desk area most would cringe, lol. Never mind a Ford guy, I am a Dodge guy.

My PC room makes Garbage dumps cringe :)
At least that's what the wifes says.

Latest posts