What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Motherboard wont recognize SATA ports

Seperon

Intel Core i5-4670K, MSI GeForce GTX 770, Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada
Here are my computer specs except I finally had time to disassemble and test. Replaced the PSU with a spare I had at home 600W which is more than enough.
My motherboard now does not recognize any sata ports and boots straight to EFI screen where I type exit and go to the BIOS. Tried to reset my settings. same issue.
I next tried to switch SATA ports, also no go.
I then tried to unplug SATA and let the computer run then shutoff replug in and still same issue.
I also tried unplugging the PSU holding the power button to drain all the power of the mobo and see if it would go to some default settings.
Another thing is when my computer turns on, my heatsink fans go straight to 100% because my CPU is apparently always at 100 degrees.

Anyone know what I should do next?

Shadowmeph

Pull the board and try to run it out of the case . are you using the same things like cable and hard drive when checking the sata ports? 100Degrees is very hot unless you are talking about 100 F and not 100 C.

Seperon

Pull the board and try to run it out of the case . are you using the same things like cable and hard drive when checking the sata ports? 100Degrees is very hot unless you are talking about 100 F and not 100 C.

The thing is my CPU i know for a fact isnt at 100 degrees. if i left it off all day. Then suddenly turning it on and it states its already at 100degrees I use a H100i to cool it even letting it run at 20 minutes I feel no heat from my heatsink. Using different cables and drives.

Seperon

Are you able to update the bios? Does it have dual bios?

I'll have to give it a shot, I gotta find a USB and make it bootable with the bios update. However, I tried installing a new mobo the problem still persist, tried different SSD, cables, problem still persist, also tried different ram. So anyone with any other things to test(I'll try to find an usb stick to make a bootable drive).

clshades

That's weird man... So you've isolated the mobo as not the problem. I'm assuming you've connected all the appropriate power connectors to the mobos. Are you able to test another CPU? Try with a single stick of ram and test each slot just to close that door too.

Also are you trying the board out of the case just to make sure it isn't a grounding problem. (I've seen it before and I've done it myself.)

Any old cheap (small capacity) USB will do normally.

Last edited:

Latest posts