What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Samsung rumored to acquire AMD

Arinoth

Staff member
AMD GPUs wrapped in Samsung drivers? And you thought their drivers were bad now.....

Please...please don't make me think that...If I was still working there I'd have a mental breakdown for the entire day today if I had a whiff of that being true...

ddude27

heh being taken over by a bigger company does not necessary mean it's going to provide competition to the competitor it ultimately up to the parent company to decide what the direction should be. Usually take overs don't end up being really well as tons of companies have been though this process only to be disbanded and forgotten (EA loves this...) I wish AMD would step up their game and designed something that is decent with power consumption and performance which I don't see Intel or Nvidia doing this well since they don't need to compete in my opinion.

'47 Knucklehead

Let's face it, it's not like AMD can keep hanging on. SOMEONE needs to buy them out and end this stupid "two front war" with Intel and nVidia. AMD has already form RTG (Radeon Technology Group) in preparation for a split.

Everyone see's the writing on the wall, especially current and former AMD people.

AMD announces quarterly loss of $197 million, its fourth-straight loss

On Thursday, the ever-struggling AMD announced its fourth-straight quarterly loss—at $197 million—putting total losses for the first nine months of 2015 at $557 million.

Over the last 17 years, the company has sustained a total net loss of nearly $8 billion.

On Wednesday, Phil Rogers, the president of the Heterogeneous System Architecture Foundation, left AMD after 21 years to join rival Nvidia as its "Compute Server Architect." Earlier this month, the company also announced it was cutting 500 white-collar jobs, or about 5 percent of its global workforce.

What Atiq Raza, the company’s former president, CTO and COO, told Ars over two years ago seems to still hold true.

"There's no control on spending—even now, one of the problems is if you take a look at the salary structure," he said. "[AMD is] a sinking ship, fundamentally," he said.

Not to mention they sold off another division ... they are liquidating assets just to try and keep afloat.

Nantong Fujitsu Microelectronics to take 85% ownership and serve as controlling shareholder, paying AMD approximately $371 million in cash

Bond007

Yeah you can only sell so much. The are bleeding money and spread to thin. The only feasible way they could sustain IMO is if they honed what little resources they have and focus on just one or two areas. They do not have money or structure to maintain so many areas to develop (apu/CPU/GPU all at multiple tdp ranges + custom jobs for consoles etc. they are seemingly trying to be successful in more markets than Intel with a fraction of the resources. It's that or just get bought out so there is more money (which still wouldnt necessarily fix underlying company issues).

Arinoth

Staff member
Let's face it, it's not like AMD can keep hanging on. SOMEONE needs to buy them out and end this stupid "two front war" with Intel and nVidia. AMD has already form RTG (Radeon Technology Group) in preparation for a split.
http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2097683

Fun fact a lot of people don't know, ATI Technologies still 'technically' exists, the branding of that company disappeared and became part of the who AMD thing, but when I was working there in Markham I was paid byt ATI Technologies, NOT AMD.

sswilson

Staff member
I would go out of my way to purchase ATI cards if they returned to being a canadian tech company..... ;)

Latest posts