What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Tips for Saving Money on Shipping Costs

draemn

What's the current deal with shipping cross border into the states? I have received packages via USPS without having any duty charged, but when I just shipped with Canada post I had to fill out a declaration with values for customs.

Lpfan4ever

That is because the shipper is the one who has to provide the declaration. Duty charges are going to happen for anything over a certain value (don't know off the top of my head), but with USPS you're not getting bent over and stuck with brokerage charges a-la UPS.

MattyMatt

What's the current deal with shipping cross border into the states? I have received packages via USPS without having any duty charged, but when I just shipped with Canada post I had to fill out a declaration with values for customs.
You do that for everything you ship abroad. Whether or not the receiver has to pay will depend on the declaration and its value.

For Canadians, anything valued at 20CAD or less is tax free, everything over is taxed. If you ship with anyone that does not hand off to Canada Post, be prepared to pay! If they had off to Canada Post, you may be lucky. I've had hundreds of dollars of product go uncharged, but paid for 12 dollars to ups for a 25ish dollar item...

BTW netparcel isn't bad either and there's also the costco option. I find netparcel is typically the cheapest, but Canada Post is still more convenient at times.

artistpavel

artistpavel

Any time you get paid on paypal you'll have a create shipping label option at the bottom. Netparcel is cheaper sometimes though
Before, you were able to take payments with EMT and then use a special Paypal Canada Post shipping webpage independently. This also gave a small discount over regular Canada Post fees. I used it all the time, but now it is either shut down or buried somewhere in the website.

maritrunks

Canadapost is offering FREE shipping this month every Tuesday with a SMB account. SMB Account is free to register.

Latest posts