What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

No Man's Sky pre-order: anyone jumping?

AkG

While I added it to my Steam wishlist (so I don't forget about it), like Fight Club, gaming has its own cardinal rule: Never pre-order.

Same here. While I love rewarding small companies... pre-ordering just creates pressure on the devs to release a game before it is ready. Plus with so little honesty in game 'reviews' on per-releases there is always a chance it will be a steaming turd. Best to wait and see what meta-critic and the likes show and then IF its a diamond in the rough reward the devs with money.

On2wheels

While I added it to my Steam wishlist (so I don't forget about it), like Fight Club, gaming has its own cardinal rule: Never pre-order.

Ha! I'm starting to agree after the new Hitman always-online fiasco and episodic nature, I preordered before any of that was announced, and since it was gifted I couldn't refund (long story).

I too added this to my wishlist but not convinced I'll like it for $65 worth. Some Steam friends are raving about it however, I guess I'm the outlier. The 15min gameplay video isn't really what I'm looking for anyway, I prefer the look of Elite Dan or Star Cit.

Lysrin

Ha! I'm starting to agree after the new Hitman always-online fiasco and episodic nature, I preordered before any of that was announced, and since it was gifted I couldn't refund (long story).

I too added this to my wishlist but not convinced I'll like it for $65 worth. Some Steam friends are raving about it however, I guess I'm the outlier. The 15min gameplay video isn't really what I'm looking for anyway, I prefer the look of Elite Dan or Star Cit.
You haven't bought into either of those yet have you On2wheels? I know we have discussed them in other threads. Elite Dan is still the winner for me. Every time I play, even a little, I am reminded how much I like it. I bought into SC too, I dabble a little from time to time. Once they implement persistence I will be spending some more of my time there.

Speaking of persistence, the lack of it in NMS is still the biggest thing for me that tarnishes its shine a little. The fact that I could do a whole bunch of things on a planet: dig holes, mine, fight things, break into bases, etc. and then when I fly my ship up into space, turn around and come back down, the whole planet is reset and back to the way I found originally. That doesn't impact the exploration aspect of the game or any number of the other fun aspects, but it does impact the feeling of living in the galaxy and affecting it. It also makes me wonder about things like how they handle rare resources. For example if I find a planet with a rare resource and I mine it to depletion, then I just fly up into space and come back to find the resource repopulated as it was before I mined, is it really rare any more? Perhaps the Sentinels are designed prevent that level of impact on a planet (I think the Sean Murray did say that in one video) and therefore it is rare because they will kick my butt if I over mine?

Questions... questions... :whistle:

But as much as I ponder and question it I am still very likely going to buy it. I can't resist space sims! One of my friends has already pre-ordered and even though we can't play it together he has still started his campaign to whittle away my resolve! :haha:

On2wheels

I actually did try EliteDan but since I was lazy and didn't put the effort into learning how the ship controls and navigation work I gave up on it, silly I know. Plus the hoops you need to jump thru to team up in coop and stay together was frustrating. That was before Horizons came out, I might take the plunge again someday, but then there's SCit. Tried it too on a free weekend, glitchy as heck! The pure attractiveness of it all is so tempting, I'm just pissed off I missed the opportunity to get both MMO and story mode together.

rommelrommel

Launch is just a few days away! I haven't preordered but think I may cave and try this before the reviews come out. I kind of like the solitary play style.

dsmoczyk

I so wanted to play this game but once I found out there really was no online, or multiplayer component I decided not to

JJThomp

I so wanted to play this game but once I found out there really was no online, or multiplayer component I decided not to

I don't understand that. It was always marketed as a single player game. Some people just didn't listen.

enaberif

I don't understand that. It was always marketed as a single player game. Some people just didn't listen.

LOL disregard his comment he's just spamming the forums.

I'm interested in this game... but it could either work well or not well at all.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
So? Whats the consensus from Beavers?

Reviews on the web seem...conflicted, and (IMO) generally average to below average.

Glad I waited. Sounds like another force-fed release bust.