What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Fan headers Case or Motherboard ?

Dolomats

Hello,

I have a Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX ATX Mid Tower Case and Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard.

I will be using 5 fans, and i would like to know wich is better the case fans header or the motherboard one and why ?

Thanks

MARSTG

Mobo : software control and you can now set your own rpm curve/profile.

Bartacus

If using PWM fans, what MARSTG said. If using regular 3-pin fans, the included case controller might be a better option, depending on how it controls the fans. I have no experience with that case / controller, but most of them have a basic push-button control low / medium / full speed settings for the fans. If you can toggle fan speeds with a push of a button, and the fans don't make odd noise when connected to the controller, that's a good option.

KaptCrunch

Mobo : software control and you can now set your own rpm curve/profile.

PROVIDED the fan(s) don't exceed fan header spec Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO per header is 12 watts (1A)

if over then use a fan controller, only manual adjustment

I see case fan is 1.4 watts the header will take 9 of same fan with 11.2 watts on header

Last edited:

KaptCrunch

MARSTG is the route to go let MB control fans , once pass set up in CMOS its carefree

if you like to tinker then just use a fan controller an do it manually

Note: the case fan is 1.4 watts can use 9 of the same fan on MB header = 11.2 watts, still within header spec

MARSTG

I damaged the fan controller on my case FD Arc Midi R2 and now I use a 4 fan pwm splitter on one of the pwm fan headers on the mobo GB H57M-USB3 and I use the speed fan utility of the mobo to create my own fan curve profile. Works like a charm so far. I have 4 fans : 3x140mm FD and one CM JetFlo 120mm.

KaptCrunch

CM x1 4.8 WATTS

FD x3 I'm guessing its 4.2 Watts FD not giving amps only voltage stats, comes to 12.6 Watts without the CM fan, would need a multi-meter to find wattage

total wattage of all 4 fans is 17.4 Watts so yeah the fan header got damaged GB also is 12 watts max but safe use 10watt load to leave headroom an no damage

Attachments

• piechart.jpg
    piechart.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 135

Dolomats

Thanks guy's.

So for customized control on fan i will use the Mobo header.

And for an easy solution use the case header and let the PVM do the job.

Latest posts