What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Network Connectivity Issues

Major_Tantrum

Hey all,

I'm at ropes end and really need some help/insight.

Built a new tower few months back and it's been running like a dream. Over the last week my wifi connection has gone for a crap. The modem is upstairs but directly above me, only 5 feet away separated only by the floor. Up to this point I was using a D-Link DWA-130 usb adapter and the connection was reasonable. I was still getting an average of 18ms, 75mbs DL and virtually no packet loss. All of a sudden over this week my ping rate has been shooting up to 500+ms and a packet loss of 700-1000+.

Thinking it may be my hardware I purchased an Asus USB-AC56R wireless adapter. After 4-5 minutes ... same deal ...

The biggest issue is it only seems to happen to this one device. Phones, laptop, ipad, xbox1 ... all fine and no issues. I can shut down my PC and do a restart. Once connected I have no issues whatsoever, perfect ping DL speed and almost 0 packet loss. You can almost time it once connected, 3-4 1/2 minutes after connected .. the issue starts up again.

Any suggestions?
Thanks guys

*** EDIT ** My apologies this is in the wrong section of the forums. Could an admin please move to Networking ****

Thank you

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Sounds to me like it's probably something downloading/uploading in the background on that one device. Try opening task manager/resource manager on startup to see if something pops up around the same time as your 3-4 minute problem area. If it's just the one device I'd suspect it's something completely saturating your upload bandwidth.

I had an issue earlier this year that was taking down my entire network (including bandwidth for my IPTV) within a few minutes of my main PC being connected to the network (wireless or wired). I initially thought it was a hardware issue with the PC and went so far as to order a new motherboard, but a fresh install resolved the issue. I wrote it off as being somehow related to a bad install of a VPN virtual network card (shows up as TAP in device manager IIRC) since that coincided with the first appearance of the issue.

Last edited:

Major_Tantrum

Sounds to me like it's probably something downloading/uploading in the background on that one device. Try opening task manager/resource manager on startup to see if something pops up around the same time as your 3-4 minute problem area. If it's just the one device I'd suspect it's something completely saturating your upload bandwidth.

Well ... I've rebooted my PC multiple times this afternoon and have tediously sat and watched every little program popping up during this issue hoping to find the culprit, and nothing. Thinking it could still possibly be a invasive program, malware/phishing, of some kind I tried a few things including running Rkill.exe in safe mode (awesome little tool) backed with a full deep scan using Malwarebytes premium, and still nothing. Last but not least a 3 or 4 hour full scan using KasperSky Anti Viral software, and "Grrrr" nothing.

Last resort called up the ISP (cogeco) and had a techy check into my router. After a few changes, some channel switching, an hour later, still nothing.

Spent the last hour here reading some Reddit posts, few people were talking about the latest win10 patch was supposedly a bit buggy. Quite a few people have stated ever since this patch they haven't been able to connect via wifi. Starting to think this could possibly be effecting me too somehow? I dunno ...

JD

Staff member
You could try running a couple commands from command prompt (run as admin):
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
sfc /scannow

Do you have any sort of software installed for either the WiFi adapters or your motherboard that would interfere with network settings? Any software firewalls?

Major_Tantrum

You could try running a couple commands from command prompt (run as admin):
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
sfc /scannow

Do you have any sort of software installed for either the WiFi adapters or your motherboard that would interfere with network settings? Any software firewalls?

Writing this post as I go through the reset & scan suggestions there. I wouldn't think any of my current software our firewalls are the issue, never know, but still. I haven't made any hardware or software changes in the past few months this PC has been up and running. Other than a large AMD ReLive patch & a possibly foul Win10 patch released recently. Previous to this, my network/WiFi has been awesome for the longest time.

sswilson

Staff member
Are you running a VPN or any hardware that may have installed a TAP network driver? Do you have the ability to test your network with a lan connection?

As I stated earlier... your issue sounds an awful lot like the problems I had earlier this year and after trying everything I could think of I ultimately ended up doing a windows 10 reset to resolve it.

Major_Tantrum

Are you running a VPN or any hardware that may have installed a TAP network driver? Do you have the ability to test your network with a lan connection?

As I stated earlier... your issue sounds an awful lot like the problems I had earlier this year and after trying everything I could think of I ultimately ended up doing a windows 10 reset to resolve it.

I could do a win10 repair or reinstall. Might even try both some point this week, just very interested in finding out exactly what's doing this. Before that, tomorrow I might poke around with that TAP network driver notion. LAN connection is a bit tight atm, I own the incoming services but the modem/router is in a neighboring apartment. Just trying to avoid drilling through walls & floors here (though if this keeps up I'll do what it takes). We'll see

Thank you for your ideas everyone :). Gonna keep trying & I'll let ya's know if anything works.

Major_Tantrum

Do you have the win 10 anniversary update? I heard a lot of issues arising from that for USB type devices including usb wifi adapters.

I may have yea. Heard about this, so many people talking about it online its hard to find a good facts page in regards to the issue. Know of any fixes patches or how to roll back on this? Anything is worth a try at this point.

Any links would be appreciated

Latest posts