What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

How to Install Windows 7 on USB 3.0 Computer?

geokilla

How in the world do I install Windows 7 on a computer with USB 3.0 ports? Specifically the Acer computer linked below. I spent the whole afternoon trying various things and I still can't get it working properly. I've followed various guides and none of that work. I even went as far as using the internal DVD drive and while it finally installed, Windows 7 won't recognize any USBs because they don't have the USB 3.0 drivers installed. I've tried using the USB 2.0 ports as well but still no go.

The error message I get during the Windows 7 installation process is "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing."

On a side note, what should I slipstream into my Windows 7 ISO so I can get the installation completed faster? I've never tried slip streaming anything and I am beyond frustrated right now.

I tried following this guide and the many similar to it.

Acer ATC-710-EB51

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
if you can get in to windows and the USB slots arnt working its 100% drivers (or dead ports, I guess...) and not a result of win7/win10.

If it wont install windows off USB3 or 2 ports, I dont know why that would be. I'm literally doing this right now on my friends Acer Aspire V through its USB ports.

Regardless, once you do get windows on the PC check the Acer site for that model, but before you install any USB drivers install chipset drivers first.

geokilla

if you can get in to windows and the USB slots arnt working its 100% drivers (or dead ports, I guess...) and not a result of win7/win10.

If it wont install windows off USB3 or 2 ports, I dont know why that would be. I'm literally doing this right now on my friends Acer Aspire V through its USB ports.

Regardless, once you do get windows on the PC check the Acer site for that model, but before you install any USB drivers install chipset drivers first.
The mouse and keyboard works fine so the ports aren't dead.

Did you have to do anything special to get the install working through USB ports? Or did you just create the bootable USB and then plug it in?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
The mouse and keyboard works fine so the ports aren't dead.

Did you have to do anything special to get the install working through USB ports? Or did you just create the bootable USB and then plug it in?

I use Rufus USB Boot creator. https://rufus.akeo.ie/ I assume you have an ISO or the like.

You're remembering to switch the boot order to the USB first, I assume?

geokilla

I use Rufus USB Boot creator. https://rufus.akeo.ie/ I assume you have an ISO or the like.

You're remembering to switch the boot order to the USB first, I assume?
Yes. Everything is good and then it stops at right here:

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-e2d2e16bf8fa11616bd399e173229ced?convert_to_webp=true

I'm emulating a PS/2 for the mouse and keyboard in the BIOS. It's the only way to get the mouse and keyboard working when I try to install Windows. Otherwise the mouse and keyboard would be unresponsive.

ipaine

Yes. Everything is good and then it stops at right here:

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-e2d2e16bf8fa11616bd399e173229ced?convert_to_webp=true

I'm emulating a PS/2 for the mouse and keyboard in the BIOS. It's the only way to get the mouse and keyboard working when I try to install Windows. Otherwise the mouse and keyboard would be unresponsive.

That error is coming up not because of USB drivers but storage drivers. That is why you can get that far, but just can't find a drive to install on.

Your PC is a Skylake system in which you may have limited to no support.

Looking at https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/support-product/6393?b=1 there is no Windows 7 drivers so YMMV and most likely will need to run 10

Yea, looks like the best option would be to try to install the windows 10 drivers and hope for the best. Otherwise you should see if you can find out which actual USB 3.0 controller is on that board and then look for a driver for that controller specifically, same with the storage for installing.

clshades

You can't install Windows on usb 3. Only usb 2 works. Windows is seeing usb3 like a raid card but even though you have the drivers it wont ever work. Usb 2 should work though.
I have tried installing windows on several pcs via usb3 and I always get the same problem you described at the beginning of your post.

I also only use usb2 thumb drives too.

Latest posts