What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Haha , you thought PC's were hard ?!!

BrainEater

Yea.
I've setup LAN parties,built my own gaming machines for 16 years,etc,etc.....This is probably the easiest hardware and networking there is.
I now understand REAL pain.(on a small scale haha)
------
In our brewery, we use a 36 head rotary filler/crowner to put beer in bottles.
Yesterday , the machine had an insignificant mechanical failure , and the machine lost it's brain (PLC)in the process......The PLC controls like 20+ Ethernet connected other small computers , and something has shit the bed.

The software to program the PLC is 5000$+ .
Remote access is a nightmare.

I have a half-million dollar hunk of scrap metal right now , because of "connection timed out"

FFS !!

:doh:

Lpfan4ever

Maybe it was because of that shady character you guys let in there. :whistle:

1Edq6yu.jpg

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Oh, I'm quite confident you'll fix it. It'll take some wizardry, but confident still.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
If it was 1990, I maybe could have helped you out. But I haven't touched a PLC since graduation from BCIT. Sorry to hear about your problem, but $5k to fix a $500k machine is a drop in the bucket. Until you have to sign the cheque of course.

BrainEater

Oh, I'm quite confident you'll fix it. It'll take some wizardry, but confident still.

I appreciate the confidence.
The question is how much money I have to throw at it before I do.
1000$ did not help , I have ok'd the 10,000$ step.

PLC bleh! Some of those systems require a engineers degree

OOOOOhhhh man.

I have 6 engineers and 1 lead software/PLC master on this , From 4 States and 2 provinces !
It's taken 4 days to get 1 step forward.Not 1 of em really knows WTF is goin on.
My good friend in Montreal (PLC/Software) and I have made more progress than anyone.

This appears to be a unique event.We will probably be re-writing the KHS troubleshooting guide based on what we discover, as well as the guides for 2 of the main components we've discovered shitty code in.

-----

10 grand bought me a service tech, flown in Tuesday.
I have till Monday to fix it !!'

Hahahaha !

:thumb:

Valkyrie

In the OP it wasn't clear if this PLC/microcontroller problem was caused by or co-incidental with the mechanical problem you mentioned. The filler has to have black start capability and if the PLC and connected controllers are all live and communicating, it has to be a synchronization issue. Some transducer is out of sync.

Just a thought.

P.S. I'm assuming it was running previously, and I know you should never assume anything.:thumb:

Last edited:

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Sounds like you should wire Valkyrie $2k and bring him to Calgary tonight. :bleh:

Latest posts