What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Searching for a file in windows 10...am I missing something

Bond007

This is an extremely basic question that I feel dumb asking. Since windows 10 has got rid of the old school search function and only has cortana I haven't been able to get it to search for files/folders properly (it only seems to find programs.

For example, I typically search for any leftover folders/files after uninstalling a program. However, right now if I search for picture or video that I know exists on the PC it won't find it.

Is there a setting or a different way of searching for specific files/folders that works now in WIN10?

Thanks!

Bond007

C: drive folder window, top-right Search bar ('Search Local Disk (C:)")?

I knew there would be an obvious answer...hence why I didn't want to ask the questions. For whatever reason I couldn't see what was in front of my face (though my wife would think that is normal). Thanks!

Yeah, that looks to be the best way to do it for a deep search. Even brings up stuff in the "hidden" user folders like roaming etc.....

Thanks for checking it out.

Vittra

Yep - File Explorer is the best way to search for files by far. The search bar/icon is only reliable for finding applications or settings/control panel items.

Regarding application removal - have you considered using an application such as "geek uninstaller" to uninstall applications? It doesn't require installation and does an excellent job at cleanup - it can even remove programs the general Programs and Features menu has difficulty with.

sswilson

Staff member
I knew there would be an obvious answer...hence why I didn't want to ask the questions. For whatever reason I couldn't see what was in front of my face (though my wife would think that is normal). Thanks!

Thanks for checking it out.

Heh... I checked more for my own benefit than yours. :)

Latest posts