What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what DAC, AMP, Speakers & Headphones do you have?

Gman109

Sorry to interrupt but I am wondering about DACs, speakers and to a lesser extent headphones... mostly as an upgrade in sound if/when I upgrade to a new build - I think the sound in a new build will be inferior for two reasons:
1) I currently use a discrete sound card - BUT, it's PCI-based slot - Audigy 2ZS - so, it's likely I won't be able to move it to a new system - I'm not basing my choice on whether it has a PCI slot - that's not wise, right?
2) the new builds - well, the majority have ALC887 or ALC892 onboard - so, unless, I went with the higher profile boards (AM4 X370 or Intel Z370), I think that sound chip(set) is inferior to my current setup?
I use Logitech 2.1 speakers and a Logitech Clearchat for my headphones (it's for language learning - primarily - so I'd consider a separate set of headphones with a new audio setup)

What I have isn't ideal so the choices are to buy a new sound card or look at DAC / pre-amp(?) options with speakers?

I looked at FiiO E10K - I know that is basic but would that do what I want? I want it for movie/video watching, basic sound but would like to use headphones on occasion, too.

Is this a better option than a new discrete sound card (PCI-e)?

I looked at the Schiit Modi 2 but seems impossible to find or unavailable - and I just don't know about this stuff, anyway. I wouldn't know what to look for or what's a good price. I wouldn't invest much, initially, just something basic to start with since I'll have to spend on the build already.

It comes down to budget I think so far as I understand what you're posting. To get a Schiit combo I think you just need to buy it direct from their site, contact them there or call them, that's what I did and they had stock last year, no idea now. If not that, then the JDS unit is similar in cost and performance from what I've read from those who have used both. IMO though you'll need to spend at least a couple hundred to get headphones that will make getting a DAC/Amp even worth it.

PCI-E sound card may be a better option for you, as you can get away with a bit lest costly headphones/headsets and still enjoy the benefits that a stand alone sound card will give you. I have the latest Broadwell E and 370 Asus motherboards, $400+ MB in a bunch of systems, and even the $100ish Creative cards I got used are a big improvement in sound quality IMO in those systems. If you care about RGB there is a Creative RGB card for around $200, but IMO the Sounblaster Z or Zx is a better value if you don't care about blinking lights. In fact there is a SB Zx for sale here in the forums for $120(iirc), which is a good deal for a new card, external volume/plug in comes with the Zx which is nice too. I think your best option is grab something like that, it'll cost less than a DAC/Amp, and give you more options with headphones. That said if you can afford it, and want it, by all means get a Dac setup, it's about the same increment of improvement IMO that going from on board sound to a PCIE card, going from a PCIE card to a DAC.

Lysrin

hey Lysirin...are there any DAC/AMP comparisons between Schiit and Mayflower?

What do you mean by comparisons? Like model to model reviews, or do you mean this model of Mayflower has these features compared to this model Schiit?

Either way I'm not sure; haven't searched for that specifically. When I bought mine I looked at reviews for different DAC/Amps on their own based on features and price. Plus I watched several videos that included the lead guy for Mayflower talking about sound cards, audio equipment, headphones, etc. and came to appreciate his insight and opinion. So I bought from them. Been very pleased for my needs.

Downside is with a 10 year warranty and the DAC/Amp that just works... I don't have much reason to throw more money at them! :haha:

enaberif

Since we seem to have a few smart people around... looking to spend $100-150 for an amp to run speakers and headphones if it can.

I know I could pickup something self powered like Mackie CR3s or Edifiers but I got speakers I'm not using.

mGz

No affiliation but for those in the Vancouver area: I recommend the headphonebar on main street if you're not sure of your next purchase. They have a wide variety of headphones and amp/dacs to choose from and you're able to demo stuff beforehand.

The owner is amazing and they will pricematch amazon too!

Last edited:

Gman109

Thanks Lysin, I'll check out Mayflower today myself.

edit - Heh, I had just read a review about the Fostex T50 and was very impressed with what I read, Mayflower is selling them as well. Ordering a pair and their Arc Amp/Dac tomorrow. I'll post a review and opinion once I get them, I was going to put a new SB RGB sound card in our 6850 PC, but I'll go with Dac/Amp and try out the T50s with it instead.

Lysrin

Thanks Lysin, I'll check out Mayflower today myself.

edit - Heh, I had just read a review about the Fostex T50 and was very impressed with what I read, Mayflower is selling them as well. Ordering a pair and their Arc Amp/Dac tomorrow. I'll post a review and opinion once I get them, I was going to put a new SB RGB sound card in our 6850 PC, but I'll go with Dac/Amp and try out the T50s with it instead.

Awesome! Look forward to it. The Arc is supposed to be quite nice.

Latest posts