What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

[Solved] Strange problem - can only power on PC by PSU (not the case itself)

mGz

I can only turn on pc by flipping on the PSU switch, and sometimes the pc will shut down shortly after powering on.

Preface - I built the PC roughly 3 and a half year ago (it'll be 4 years in August). The only component I switched out was my old 780 (now a 1080ti) back in may and it's been running fine without problems.

Speccy below -

https://imgur.com/wYHRRrn

What can I do as far as diagnostics? I'd like to find out what's the culprit because I honestly don't feel like building an entirely new platform.

Last edited:

KaptCrunch

simple open case and disconnect the start switch from motherboard, just after you used the power switch on PSU

or use another known good start button

JD

Staff member
Could be that your power supply is on the way out. I know I had some real oddities when mine died. A lot of strange boot up/power on issues. Eventually one day it simply stopped working entirely though.

mGz

Strange... The problem was that the BIOS on the mobo was caught in a loop and failed to "see" the push of the front button. I unplugged the power cord and waited 15mins or so for the output capacitors to discharge, and now all is well.

Cheers guys. This is solved.

mGz

Well, I guess there was more underlying problems that needed to be addressed. I took my PC to the shop on the 16th after it failed to power on. The tech told me my mobo was close to failing and psu was toast.

Perfect timing, eh? I guess 4 years is about the average life expectancy for most components (I've never had a pc last more than 4 years too). This time I went all out and bought an i7, and after spending 2.7k on a new platform (sans gpu) I can honestly say I have absolutely no buyers remorse.

Chris

Perfect timing, eh? I guess 4 years is about the average life expectancy for most components (I've never had a pc last more than 4 years too). This time I went all out and bought an i7, and after spending 2.7k on a new platform (sans gpu) I can honestly say I have absolutely no buyers remorse.

My older pc was built in 2009, still going strong with only upgrade of the video card from AMD HD4850 to 7950.

mGz

My older pc was built in 2009, still going strong with only upgrade of the video card from AMD HD4850 to 7950.

I must have rotten luck then. Since 2003 I've never had a pc that's lasted longer than a few years.

Shadowmeph

all of the above but I did something a few times is I plugged the dam power switch wires in the wrong place my eyes are getting a little bad lol but I have also had a dead switch on a brand new case I was checking the wires but could jump the wires to get the PC fired up , what I did was just used the rest switch for the power switch for a while then just bought a new switch.

Latest posts