What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Hockey fans - did you know about this!?

Cannon Fodder

nToxik

Yup, it's been in the news. Rings are straightened and end of in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

GO JETS GO!

Caldezar

Yeah, this is a semi-regular occurrence. The cup can't get any larger due to size restrictions for transportation, not to mention it getting way too large for players to lift and handle. I believe it's also the only cup to engrave all players names rather than just the team? And that's not likely to change any time soon. Something has to give, and that ends up being the oldest ring of names on the cup. (Sorry if this is already covered in the linked article.)

I'm more surprised by how many people don't already know this. It's also crazy that this time there are so many people screaming about how terrible it is. The players and the league already know this is the case. Nobody is surprised or concerned except for some of the fans.

sswilson

Staff member
Maybe it's the first time that folks are seeing their NHL childhood heros fall off the bottom?

Lysrin

On a scale of 1 to 10 of important world concerns I would place this about a ... Oh never mind. Who am I to say? I like to spend my spare time talking about video games and luxury PC components!

But what is this "hockey" you speak of? ;)

Entz

TBH I didn't really know about it before I went to the hockey hall of fame. You can see the old rings there. Makes sense really, would be huge otherwise.

People like to get worked up about silly things.

Cannon Fodder

I'm still kinda surprised that I just wasn't aware of this.... I've been a hockey fan for LOOOONG time, and I'd just never heard this before.... I was under the impression there was still some space on the thing, and that if needed they'd add another ring. Of course it stands to reason that once it gets too large, it then becomes too long and/or heavy, so SOMETHING has to be done.... just never knew it had already been done. :shok:

Cannon Fodder

Maybe it's the first time that folks are seeing their NHL childhood heros fall off the bottom?

Except that, if you read that article, they're actually falling off the top(almost), i.e. the oldest rings are near the top. If I read it correctly, I believe the smaller rings(the ones that get slightly larger the further down you go from the actual cup) that were added in the real early years stay there, and they only remove the top ring(the oldest) of the larger rings that are all the same size, and then add a new, blank one on the bottom.

Cannon Fodder

But what is this "hockey" you speak of? ;)

WHAT!?!?!? :shok: SACRILEGE, I say!!! Ok boys, let's drag his sorry ass out to the nearest tree and string him up!!! Well, at the very least, he needs to be deported, since he's clearly NOT Canadian!!! :ban: :haha:

KaptCrunch

simple they should leave the bottom in hockey hall of fame pedestal as you see the cup grew a base or tiers over the years. and should continue

only travel with original size cup as cup winners are added to larger rings of cup

with the short cup (original) your honouring the fore brothers of hockey

Attachments

• stanley.jpg
    stanley.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Latest posts