What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What do you think thos build?

enaberif

sure, i cant argue that.

but that doestn mean that dual's are better than quads, or that quads have no use. and for an extra 20 bucks, at least they have it so if they ever figure out what it can do, they can do it.

In day to day tasks duals ARE better than quads hands down. You'll find VERY little difference between a quad and a dual core in running ms office, IE, and msn.

If you fold, do heavy video or audio editing then yes it will work.

But this person asking is probably the person in group one and might as well save money where he can.

tzetsin

In day to day tasks duals ARE better than quads hands down. You'll find VERY little difference between a quad and a dual core in running ms office, IE, and msn.

If you fold, do heavy video or audio editing then yes it will work.

But this person asking is probably the person in group one and might as well save money where he can.

I find there is little difference in all daily tasks between the quad and the dual, (i have both and use both alot, ones at home and ones for work, i'm at both places about equally)

my point to the OP is that the quad, for 20 dollars more, will give him options that the dual cannot, and will perform very nearly / exactly the same way a dual will. Wether or not the O.P. finds this an acceptable trade or not is up to him.

my opinions are based on not only liturature , reviews and benchmarks, but are expressed with the assurity of someone who uses both almost every day, and has put both through trials small to extreem and has yet to see the dual best the quad at anything.

It is true that the quad offers little over the dual in every day tasks, but i would for one would rather simply have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. all for the price of two dinners at A&W.

enaberif

I find there is little difference in all daily tasks between the quad and the dual, (i have both and use both alot, ones at home and ones for work, i'm at both places about equally)

my point to the OP is that the quad, for 20 dollars more, will give him options that the dual cannot, and will perform very nearly / exactly the same way a dual will. Wether or not the O.P. finds this an acceptable trade or not is up to him.

my opinions are based on not only liturature , reviews and benchmarks, but are expressed with the assurity of someone who uses both almost every day, and has put both through trials small to extreem and has yet to see the dual best the quad at anything.

It is true that the quad offers little over the dual in every day tasks, but i would for one would rather simply have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. all for the price of two dinners at A&W.

Then your simply basing your needs of what you do to reflect onto this person who has a question.

Set your usage aside for a minute and think of what THEY want or what THEY need.. simple a dual core processor like the 8400.

tzetsin

i dont think that either of us can say what the O.P. needs or wants. He asked for opinions and i gave him mine and you gave him yours, and what he does with that advice is up to him now.

In my post i said that in my day to day tasks. there is no difference between each. and i'm sure my day to day tasks are similiar to anyone elses. web, music....maby a movie. msn now and then... if i was basing my opinion on my own usage i would have to emphatically say that the dual is practically useless. But i'm anything BUT an average computer user. i would go so far as to say that my computer usage is quite extreme, and that the quad is such a boon that i really cannot comprehend how anyone wouldnt think so. That being said, i can honestly say that there are of uses for a quad outside of gaming, none of them spectacular, usually quite mundane, but not something you would normally think of using if you didnt have a quad to try it out with.

now i'll say again, that for every day things the dual an the quad make no difference, anyone would be just as happy with a dual over a quad if they knew no better, and alot of people dont. but the quad being practically the same price as a dual will give you options, and cost you nothing in performance, and very little in money. and that is all my point is about.

enaberif

now i'll say again, that for every day things the dual an the quad make no difference, anyone would be just as happy with a dual over a quad if they knew no better, and alot of people dont. but the quad being practically the same price as a dual will give you options, and cost you nothing in performance, and very little in money. and that is all my point is about.

Exactly! And that's exactly what I have been saying so why spend MORE money than you need to? The e8400 can be had on sale for as low as $170.

tzetsin

why spend more? options, thats it. call it insurance cuz you "might" need it... kinda like an extended warranty only you get to choose weather or not you use it, and the benifits to using it are greater computer flexability.

enaberif

why spend more? options, thats it. call it insurance cuz you "might" need it... kinda like an extended warranty only you get to choose weather or not you use it, and the benifits to using it are greater computer flexability.

Most extended warranties are crap and I never buy them. Stuff is so cheap why bother? Just replace it.

Anyways I'm done here.

Your on a quad core mission and won't let up.

geokilla

K guys. I stopped reading after there was a war going on between enaberif and tzetsin. How about you guys stop hijacking my friend's thread? lol. Thanks =)

@OP. Are you going to keep your build for like 6 years? Since no one would probably do that and move onto a new build in like 2 to 3 years, I'd say go for the dual. You know that I got a dual core for my new comp and it's blazing fast. Knowing you, you won't need a quad till university. Save money la!

Also, you better not get that 4870X2 with a 19 inch monitor. If you do......err....I'm stealing that 4870X2 xD.

cwestwell

Wow that was quite a little rant war there.......maybe next time point someone over to toms to read the many article about DUAL VS QUADS simple answer they are both awesome.

enaberif

Wow that was quite a little rant war there.......maybe next time point someone over to toms to read the many article about DUAL VS QUADS simple answer they are both awesome.

toms hardware is the most biased and unrealistic website for ANYTHING.

Latest posts