What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Hey do you guys need another GeForce RTX 2080 Thread?

sherwind2010

Look you can make sure you can get yours on Sep 20th, Only C$1,399.00 CAD free ship for a RTX 2080 non Ti. The only one on Amazon Canada for now. GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming OC 8GB Graphic Cards GV-N2080GAMING OC-8GC

3TSydip.jpg

PS: also can pick up two other 2080's at Amazon US (Both are prime eligible)

ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 AMP 8GB GDDR6 256-bit Gaming Graphics Card Triple Fan Metal Backplate LED - ZT-T20800D-10P

PNY GeForce RTX 2080 XLR8 Gaming Overclocked Edition Graphics Card for $849.99 US

Last edited:

sherwind2010

$1,399 is a deal? How much did the Ti's go for in the pass before mining cryptocurrency... C$799.00 CAD?

Caldezar

hey Sherwind...there's a thread in Off Topic for deals to be posted. you might want to put these links in there too. :)

Deal? No thanks... There is no thread that can contain the lunacy that is the new GPU pricing structure. The only thing we can hope is that AMD or Intel steps in to the market with an aggressive product at a reasonable price and brings things back down to a reasonable level. I'm not sure when people started being OK with spending $1k+ on a GPU, but the market has adjusted and it's becoming the new norm because people are dumb enough to allow it. Drives me crazy. If the general population could just hold out on these insane prices, they'd be forced to bring it down.

Dwayne

$1,399 is a deal? How much did the Ti's go for in the pass before mining cryptocurrency... C$799.00 CAD?

From what I can see, the lowest priced 1080 Ti currently on PC Partpicker is a Gigabyte Windforce OC for $870. When it was released in April 2017 it was around $980. It fell slightly to around $900. And then climbed and fell. I don't think you can find an $800 Ti even today.

The prices asked today are high, and people are ticked off, but when you go back and read the reviews for the flagship x80 cards you will find a similar thread of high prices on release.

Dwayne

Deal? No thanks... There is no thread that can contain the lunacy that is the new GPU pricing structure. The only thing we can hope is that AMD or Intel steps in to the market with an aggressive product at a reasonable price and brings things back down to a reasonable level. I'm not sure when people started being OK with spending $1k+ on a GPU, but the market has adjusted and it's becoming the new norm because people are dumb enough to allow it. Drives me crazy. If the general population could just hold out on these insane prices, they'd be forced to bring it down.

Healthy competition is what is needed, for sure. Going back over the HWC reviews on the NVidia xx80 releases the trend was competition with AMD's flagship cards, and pricing was in line with what AMD had to offer.

Today, NVidia's only competition is their own 10xx line of cards, so it stands to reason that they would not undercut those products. In fact, the reported glut of 10xx silicon returned to board partners to fashion into cards would be a prime reason for high 20xx prices, if only to help sell old stock that is still a better deal than what AMD is offering, and getting better at the cut prices.

It is funny though, there was a lot of rumbling over the past year wondering about when a new product line would be released. Lots of posts and stuff about it being "2 years since Pascal" etc. With AMD striking out with their Vega line, NVidia could have skipped this release all together and just pushed to 7 nm, which is the big rumor for next year. By releasing a product now they get to introduce the new tech, price it where they want to all the while clearing out 10xx cards, and have what could be a better product in the wings ready when AMD finally wheels out their Navi cards...

I went back and reread the x80 releases here at HWC starting with the 480, and it is quite the story of NVidia chasing AMD, catching AMD, then surpassing AMD, all the while keeping prices similar to AMD's prices.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
My opinion? The cards are priced where they are because Nvidia saw what their 1000 series cards were selling for during the latest crypto craze. The 2000 series are better so they must be worth more than that, right? :doh:

Caldezar

My opinion? The cards are priced where they are because Nvidia saw what their 1000 series cards were selling for during the latest crypto craze. The 2000 series are better so they must be worth more than that, right? :doh:

In all fairness to nVidia; they're a large business and the money is there for the taking. If people are willing to pay these stupid prices, what incentive do they have to lower prices? They have shareholders to make happy. It's the consumer frenzy that's to blame here. nVidia is just doing what any profit-first business would do. But you're right... the 'norm' has been raised due to the crypto craze. And it's going to take a long time to come down I think. This is getting as bad as Vancouver real estate...

Latest posts