What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer keeps freezing

fubar

Did I ask this here? I know I asked about it someplace but I can't find the post.

I want to build/buy a system because I don't want to troubleshoot or diagnose what is wrong with this #$#$#! any longer.

I want to throw it out the window or take a hammer to it.

I would like to sell the parts. I was going to keep it as a media 'center' system but if it still crashes/feezes just from surfing, then it's useless or will just cause stress. I thought it might be nice to have two computers - how feasible is it to build two? That would solve my dilemma of which cpu to buy! So ****ed off right now. :-/ :blarg:

Shadowmeph

its kind of funny I just bought a used system slapped it together booted it up it seemed ok then it started to freeze up I was thinking that it was the system . I tried a different hard drive different OS worked for a while I then oced the system and it started to freeze up I dug up a SSD I had sitting around installed a fesh copy of win10 on it ( this was yesterday) fired it up stress tested the hell out of it works grreat even OCed it and have beed stress testing it since 9am this morning no freezes so in my case it was the OS's maybe before you get drastic try a fresh OS and see if it still happens.

fubar

its kind of funny I just bought a used system slapped it together booted it up it seemed ok then it started to freeze up I was thinking that it was the system . I tried a different hard drive different OS worked for a while I then oced the system and it started to freeze up I dug up a SSD I had sitting around installed a fesh copy of win10 on it ( this was yesterday) fired it up stress tested the hell out of it works grreat even OCed it and have beed stress testing it since 9am this morning no freezes so in my case it was the OS's maybe before you get drastic try a fresh OS and see if it still happens.
I'm using Ubuntu. I was wondering if it's just too weak - I often have a lot of tabs open. But, even when it freezes, if I am even able to close them, it will still be ***ed up.

My only 'solution' is to do a hard reset - on the computer and restart the computer.

I used to have error messages I can read but now, for some reason, this is displayed on the screen really quickly so it's too fast to read - but, I can tell it's pretty much the same. It displays a message that indicates a HDD sector problem/issue? I'll try to make it out again.

I also only have 8gb of (DDR2) memory.

Edit: dmesg shows some Spectre V2 : Spectre v2 ' stuff.... I don't think that's it, though, because this issue has remained for a while - I just put up with it. But, I'm getting tired of it - probably, because I am planning a new build - so it would be nice to have a computer that actually works and doesn't freeze/crash.

Ernimus Prime

Your PC is just old and tired dude. You can't get parts for it that are major. It's time to lead it behind the shed. And put it out of its misery. And think about all the good times you had.

Bond007

fresh install of windows? Have an SSD? 8GB is plenty of ram. CPU?

I take back my troubleshooting recommendations if you computer specs in the drop down are correct

Your PC is just old and tired dude. You can't get parts for it that are major. It's time to lead it behind the shed. And put it out of its misery. And think about all the good times you had.

If the drop down computer is correct, then I am with ern88. It's time to move on. Some parts could be sold or reused, but the cpu is so slow by today's standard.

Even if you just buy a new/used motherboard with a quad core i5 (say haswell or better), or an new quad core i3, and get decent SSD you will be soooo much better off.

fubar

Yes, to Bond007 and ern88, the drop down computer is correct. Sad but true.

I was debating between an i7-8700k and 2700X build but might just get both. ;)

Latest posts