What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gaming Laptop

superFlint

Hi,

I am advising my buddy about what laptop to get his daughter for Christmas.

She wants to play Fortnight for now. 15" screen. Under $2000. SSD + HD would be nice, SSD for loading up OS and games. Battery life and portability is not high on the list.

Now if there is a 17" laptop that is decently priced dont hesitate to post that too.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Flint.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
there is the Dell G3 that comes with a 17" option:
https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/del...-17-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-17-3779-laptop

the GTX 1050 Ti is perfect for 1080p game play, but if your daughter wants to get into any VR, you'll have to step up to a GTX 1060 6GB at min, and there are no 17" options unless you push your budget, but you will find 15" options that are at the top end of your budget.

I would wait for Dell's Black Friday specials, they're usually pretty good, but could mean a delivery after the holidays...

sswilson

Staff member
I'd strongly recommend getting hands-on input from the end user before considering a 17" laptop. The great majority of folks I've talked to who've bought a 17" laptop have regretted it afterwards (myself included).

Bond007

Before I recommend I have to ask, is this going to be a) used as a laptop (aka carried around), but with the ability to do some gaming (aka fortnight), or b) mostly sitting on a desk?

superFlint

Thanks for the replies guys!

I was trying to avoid the 1050ti as I thought it was old and not that good anymore, but if it is decent for 1080p gaming than that could save some cash. I was looking for 1060 6GB version and they are a bit more expensive.

The 17" is not a deal breaker, I just thought if I could find a 17" for a decent price I would get it. Why do you not like the 17"? 15" is not too bad anyway, that is what my old laptop is.

I guess she will be using it on a desk most times, but she may take it to a friends house to use too, not 100% sure on that though.

I was looking at MSI laptops, they look half decent too. I had one found that had the 1060 6GB for about $1500 but cannot find it anymore. :(

I guess I will have to get a little more info from her and update this thread.

So the Dells are decent gaming rigs? The HP Omens look alright too.

Thanks again!

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

implosion222

If you don't mind doing an O/S install then look into Eurocom. They're a reseller of Clevo/Sager laptops and they're located in Ottawa. As far as gaming laptop goes they are hard to beat. You can also customize the hell out of them.

superFlint

Was talking to her parents tonight and she wants a 17" Alienware or an Omen. She wants the 17" because her current laptop is 17". She told her father she needs RAM to play games and I told him the video card is more important than RAM. Mom then says no she said RAM, he said listen to the guy who has 20-30 years experience playing games and not the 14 year kid. Lol.

Those Eurocoms look decent but can get very expensive.

I looked at the Alienware 17" models and the one that is $2100 has i7 8750H, 1060 6GB, 16 GB RAM and 128GB M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM SATA HDD. The model below is only $100 cheaper and you lose the SSD and 8GB RAM, well worth the extra $100. I told them you can get a better deal than an Alienware as you are paying a little extra for the name, but they are still thinking about it. I think I saw some MSIs with about the same specs for a couple hundred bucks cheaper.

I assume the Alienwares are decent rigs, anyone try those Omens?

Thanks again!

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
The Alienwares are good rigs, waiting for mine and Soultribunal just bought his 2nd. There's cheaper options for sure, but I like the Dell warranty and backup if you need it. I haven't heard anything bad about the Omens but haven't heard a lot of raving either.

Latest posts