What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Essential PH-1, Gooogle Pixel XL or something else?

fubar

Are you guys familiar with the Essential phone? I found one at a good price online - online vendor in GTA.

It seems to have decent specs. I concluded from reviews and discussions online, it's a good but not great phone but has good specs. But, for the price I found, I am tempted. An online friend recommends the Pixel XL but I cannot find the 128gb versions for a decent price - for me, <$500.

Comments?

Bond007

Essential is decent (with comprimises) at the right price. I think koodo had them free on tab medium for a while, so $360.

fubar

Essential is decent (with comprimises) at the right price. I think koodo had them free on tab medium for a while, so $360.
I plead ignorance here. I more or less ignore these 'tabs' because they seem expensive. I am paying $45-ish to Fido - although, I originally wanted to go with koodo - but, I was at Costco with a family member and got a cheap Acer phone with a monthly fee - that made sense. The phone was unlocked (it was stolen so I am shopping for a phone) but it's terrible. I am using the 'same' phone but it's not mine.

I am looking at the Essential, the Huawei and Xiaomi phones, the Samsung S7 (would be bought used), S8 and even the iPhone 7/7 plus. I even like the Google Pixel XL but would only go with a 128gb version since it doesn't offer the card slot. However, I prefer to get something around $300. The main thing that appeals to me about the iPhones is their popularity - so, lots of options with them and they hold a bit of value. I'm not a fan by any means. I would not buy/get one retail. I don't want any contracts or tabs - unless it made sense. Everyone I know, though, seems to get a contract and a tab, however. I worry about a year or more down the line, it makes less sense to pay for the monthly charge (as it will be a lot) for the phone you have because it will become dated. I guess people upgrade their phones, though, somehow so they just modify the contract or pay the difference (?) or whatever?

Oh, P.S. The Essential phone I found - used/refurbished - vendor claims '9.5/10' condition for $300 plus tax.