What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dying GPUs or Monitor?

Shadowarez

Folding Team
As of last week my monitor the Dell gsync 27inch has been having constant flickering on desktop after about 10 mins of light gaming.

This is at 144hz. Iv tested 2 differnt Titans one with stock blower cooler.

One with aftermarket Artic Accelero. Tried windows 7x64 same issue it flickers noticeably on desktop but ingame zero flickering.

I should mention I haven't seen the issue with 60-75-85-100hz only 120-144 Hz.

I'll see if I can replicate it in Ubuntu 18.10 and if it does flickers how would I rule out the GPUs as hard to believe both Titans are doing same thing?

AkG

Could be a couple things. First is the gpu, you have almost ruled that out. Unlikely.... but check temps. Are they running hot? Maybe try lowering VRAM speed (vram does not age well... had a 1080ti strix do it after only SIX months). Next is drivers. Roll back and see if it goes away. Next is cable - as bandwidth does increase with refresh rate. Swap out the cable for a known good one. Next is OS. Doubtful on this one as its doing it on W10 and W7. After that... its the monitor. Try different port could be a near failure on the port that cant handle high bandwidth (eg a bad solder joint etc etc causing the problem as it heats up). After that... try a lower res at the higher refresh rates. IF after all that its still happening... its a borked monitor.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Isn't the 144hz setting on this monitor unsupported, and technically an overclock? I know my AW34 the 120hz is 'unofficial' official specc'd. Still, Dells return policy and warranty service is second to none, so they'll replace it I'm sure.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Thank you AKG I hadn't thought of that. It ended up being a differnt port that worked for me I went far left port temps were reasonable the Asus Titan was running at 60c under load the Evga Sc is at 45c so far it's holding up by switching the port to far left closest to the bracket.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Update it wast the monitor still trying to figure out the oddities in this. It went away switching cable/port for a bit but it's back and I'm getting really bad stuttering in a game a buddy got me into Earth Defence 4.1 it seems everytime a wave starts it'll lock up for a few seconds randomly I'm wondering if the 860 Evo can't keep up or if the GPU is throttling. The temps are still in check at 68c under load.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
*Update called Dell my monitor still under warrenty but talking with Dell sounds like they won't Honor it as they saying it's not Faulty.

IV switched the GPU to a Vega Fe new Cable fresh install of win 10. Drivers are the Pro and 18.9.2 the flickering is ingame and desktop. GPU temps under load is 54c.

Bond007

*Update called Dell my monitor still under warrenty but talking with Dell sounds like they won't Honor it as they saying it's not Faulty.

IV switched the GPU to a Vega Fe new Cable fresh install of win 10. Drivers are the Pro and 18.9.2 the flickering is ingame and desktop. GPU temps under load is 54c.

If you’re on a new gpu/cable it has to be the monitor. Sounds like you have tried different ports, resolutions, refresh rates to no solution...it’s the monitor.

Latest posts