What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

NVIDIA officially supporting VESA adaptive sync as of 15 Jan 2019

Lysrin

I thought this might come eventually, but it is official coming to 10 and 20 series cards via driver update on 15 Jan 2019. Detailed info in the article from Anandtech: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13797/nvidia-to-support-vesa-adaptive-sync-with-gsync-compatible-branding

Getting access to the adaptive sync functionality of cheaper AMD Freesync monitors via NVIDIA cards is great for consumers. I can't help but think it is another blow against AMD's GPUs in that the attraction of being able to get adaptive sync via a cheaper monitor if you went AMD goes away with this new support from NVIDIA.

This info also perhaps explains the new ROG monitors I saw this morning (link). When this article came up in my new feed, I was thinking "Wha...? No G-Sync option??" But if ASUS perhaps knew this NVIDIA support was coming, why bother with G-Sync only monitors going forward?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Once VESA made it an (optional) standard, you knew the death-knell of GSync was in the works.

And for sure the manufacturers were in the loop. Life cycle development is probably anywhere from 3-7 years to consumer sales I would guess.

Cptn Vortex

This is good news for sure. I don't know if it will make any difference for me with my 75hz HP Omen, but I'll at least give it a try.

Lysrin

I think it's good news too, simply for the fact that G-Sync monitors were and continue to be crazy expensive. Having access to more reasonably priced 27" and larger monitors with adaptive sync that works regardless of GPU platform is awesome!

Not sure if G-Sync will eventually get better lower pricing, or will simply fade away. It is superior to Freesync in some ways, I read, but I'm guessing not superior enough to warrant the price difference once an alternative adaptive sync option works on NVIDIA GPUs; particularly on high quality adaptive sync monitors that implement VESA adaptive sync correctly.

The "G-Sync Compatible" branding is a bit confusing for the consumer. Not sure if NVIDIA is trying to muddy the waters there to keep the G-Sync name in people's heads or what. It's confusing to test and certify an adaptive sync monitor as "G-Sync Compatible" when in fact it isn't running G-Sync at all but rather an alternative adaptive sync tech. Nice to know the monitor meets some standard maybe, but confusing terminology. It should have been named "NVIDIA Adaptive Sync Certification" or something.

Lysrin

So... this means my FreeSync monitor can now work properly with my 10xx series card?

As of the January 15th driver update, YES.

There could be variability in how well it works depending on the monitor, but that is what NVIDIA is saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Entz

About time, even though I went with a G-Sync monitor and card ages ago. I wonder if there will be a update that allows existing G-Sync monitors to support adaptive sync.

This should in theory be a big boost to the mobile side since "G-Sync" laptops meant the dGPU needed to be active all the time and killed battery life. This way it should be possible to still use the iGPU as the primary device and the benefits that go along with it... i think.

Vittra

One specific monitor on the tested list will potentially provide clarification on how useful this will actually be.

Nitro XV273K - known also as the Nitro XV3.

This monitor has an identical companion - the Predator XB273K (XB3), with the only difference between Freesync vs Gsync. They are both derived from the X27/PG27UQ, with the major difference being the omission of FALD to hit a lower price point.

XB273K aka XB3
XV273K aka XV3

Here's the TFTCentral Review of the XV273K (XV3)

Acer Nitro XV273K Review - TFT Central

IRQ Conflict

Nice. If I ever lose my mind and buy an nvidia card it should work with my Freesync2 monitor. This is a wise move by ngreedia. It's stuff like this that makes me think there may be hope for that company.

belgolas

This is a smart move for Nvidia. I was considering going with AMD because there are so many freesync monitors and they are cheaper. Just need AMD to compete in the high end first.

Though most freesync monitors have a junk range of VRR. I would expect to have 30-max native hz VRR range but many monitors are 40hz or higher which is an instant no buy for me. That is why I liked gsync because EVERY gsync monitor supports 1hz-max native hz.