What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD Announces Radeon VII, a 7nm Vega 20 GPU based card

FreeKnight

Thread title changed to clarify what the announced part actually is. :bleh: Give me a break, I was just trying to beat Mr. Friendly in getting a news post up.

Haha I was going to post about this and thought 'Friendly probably beat me to it'.

Good news for gamers. Nvidia needs competition and while I'd prefer to see a 2080ti competitor this is better than nothing. I'm especially curious how thermals and power consumption come out of this. The last few AMD flagship cards have been pretty hot and power hungry if I remember correctly. Wondering if 7nm will help with that at all.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
maybe the higher memory count will help gain an edge with 4K at ultra settings.

Today? Probably not. There are many titles that go over 8g at 1440, but I've yet to see my 1080ti get even close to 11G. The bigger limitation is just the raw horsepower we have today for 4K, not ram.

Tomorrow? AAA titles will probably eat 8 gig. The new Metro and Cyberpunk probably will for sure. And 4K? Well. Again, I think we'll see the next gem of GPUs have enough 4K horsepower to go with >8 gigs of ram.

ipaine

I was not impressed. Ok so it goes toe to toe with the 2080 it seems. Which don't get me wrong, is a good thing, but just not enough. And that demo of DMC made me nervous for them, why? Well if you noticed the fps, it was high but any time they turned to the one direction that had more open sky and distant draw distances, it dropped way down to just over 60fps without any action. And he kept running around in that closed section to keep the fps high.

Just don't get me wrong, I really want them to succeed, it would help with Nvidia prices and competition is never bad.

FreeKnight

I was not impressed. Ok so it goes toe to toe with the 2080 it seems. Which don't get me wrong, is a good thing, but just not enough. And that demo of DMC made me nervous for them, why? Well if you noticed the fps, it was high but any time they turned to the one direction that had more open sky and distant draw distances, it dropped way down to just over 60fps without any action. And he kept running around in that closed section to keep the fps high.

Just don't get me wrong, I really want them to succeed, it would help with Nvidia prices and competition is never bad.

If we're lucky as consumers AMD returning to be competitive would do a bit of a 1-2 punch where it both deflates prices (which are nutters at the moment) and pushes a new 'tick-tock' release where Nvidia releases another GPU like they used to do with the XX80 TI before they kind of messed up conventions this generation. With intel's GPU potentially coming in 2020 I'm kind of hoping that would push for a late summer or fall announcement (with a release probably not expected until a year after the original 2080Ti release date).

I could live with about a year after the 2080Ti release to upgrade and get something a little more Cyberpunk ready. The current 2080 Ti isn't enough at it's current prices, and with additional competition from AMD on the top tier by then and intel around the corner we could be in a better situation by then as consumers.

But then again, while I'm wishfully dreaming, maybe the CAD will climb another 10-20 cents by then due to an imploding US political theater. (Shhh I know CAD's not climbing that much anytime soon)

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
If we're lucky as consumers AMD returning to be competitive would do a bit of a 1-2 punch where it both deflates prices (which are nutters at the moment)

If that was going to happen they wouldnt have announced this card at $699 USD MSRP (the same as the 2080 they're targeting for performance). They would have undercut nVidia by $50-75.

The GPU market feels like the cellphone market; Price creep is becoming a real problem.

Lysrin

If that was going to happen they wouldnt have announced this card at $699 USD MSRP (the same as the 2080 they're targeting for performance). They would have undercut nVidia by $50-75.

The GPU market feels like the cellphone market; Price creep is becoming a real problem.

Isn't that kind of what we should expect though? It's like "if you build it, they will come", but rather "if they'll pay it, keep charging it!"

I don't see any of the companies, even AMD who surely wants to increase market share, trying to get it at the expense of higher profits.

I had a friend who used to work for marketing at Bell. I asked him why the heck can't we get better cell phone plan deals, as in lower prices. His comment "Well, you know they all golf together right?" Meaning don't think the big guys don't know the impact any one of them lowering prices would have on all of them. The only way those types of things change is legislation I'm afraid. Companies charge what the market will bear and then work to convince us that the market should actually bear even higher prices! :blarg:

But I'm fading off topic. Sum up, no surprise to me that AMD would want to price in the same range as NVIDIA and not undercut by any significant amount, especially if they can back it up with comparable performance.

On2wheels

Today? Probably not. There are many titles that go over 8g at 1440, but I've yet to see my 1080ti get even close to 11G. The bigger limitation is just the raw horsepower we have today for 4K, not ram.

Tomorrow? AAA titles will probably eat 8 gig. The new Metro and Cyberpunk probably will for sure. And 4K? Well. Again, I think we'll see the next gem of GPUs have enough 4K horsepower to go with >8 gigs of ram.

Do you have FarCry5? I'm going to take a screenshot of GPU-z next time I run fc5, with the HD texture pack I've seen gpuz report over 10gb vram used of my 11gb at 2560x1440. If anyone else has it installed I'd be interested to know your results too.

FreeKnight

it's interesting...the card doesn't appear to have a VR port on it.

wonder what the story there is?

Could either be it's not on the prototypes/engineering samples but will be in the retail cards, or they've dropped it due to VR being a niche market of a niche market. VR definitely didn't take off like some said it would (conversely it hasn't died yet like detractors expected).
Could also be a situation where the 'Founders' Radeon VII doesn't have it with board partners maybe having their own 'VR-Ready' Radeon VIIs, but I'm sure we'll find out closer to date.

Latest posts