What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What VPN do you use?

Cannon Fodder

Hmmm, there was a thread about this topic on here a while back, which I just did a search for, but can't seem to find it..... in any case, I use Private Internet Access (PIA), and I have no complaints. :thumb:

sswilson

Staff member
Might be a good idea if you state the main purpose of wishing to use a VPN... Geolocation for services? Gaming? Privacy? Security?

Lysrin

Hmmm, there was a thread about this topic on here a while back, which I just did a search for, but can't seem to find it..... in any case, I use Private Internet Access (PIA), and I have no complaints. :thumb:

I think this is the thread Cannon Fodder was thinking of (this one popped in my mind anyway): https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/77485-do-you-use-vpn.html#post866691

I'm a NordVPN user. Got a good 3 year deal and no complaints. But my use is only adding a little extra security when I am using wifi in coffee shops, airports, etc. Not something I use at home to access geo-locked games or content so can't comment on its performance for that. Video like YouTube works fine speed-wise.

I'm guessing that is why sswilson asked about usage. They don't all deliver the same performance for all activities as I understand.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
on the side (apologize if this is considered a thread jack) but I'm on a static IP so I can access work. if I were to get a VPN going, can it be configured to for that static IP need while everything else is anonymous?

I'm not so anal about it, I don't do anything to worry about privacy and such. but heh...like whatshisname said before, make them work to get their ad material? LoL

sswilson

Staff member
doesn't a VPN do all of that anyhow? granted, I can see geolocation being a bit more finicky if you're trying to get around the great wall of China or something. :ph34r:

Some do certain things better than others.

Geolocation (as in getting US netflix in canada) is typically a game of whack-a-mole WRT the VPN IPs and some seem to do a better job than others... on the privacy side... some don't keep any kind of records that could be hit with a FISA request, while others rely on things like a warrant canary, and then finally... if the main goal is gaming there are services that locate their servers at key locations in order to provide optimal ping.

MorePower

I've been reading reviews and I guess the top 4 would be NordVPN, Private Internet Access, IPVanish, ExpressVPN. On reddit someone said NordVPN is owned by a data mining company and to stay away from them. I don't know if there is any truth to that or what the negative would be if they were. You're still paying them to keep you anonymous.

enaberif

I've been reading reviews and I guess the top 4 would be NordVPN, Private Internet Access, IPVanish, ExpressVPN. On reddit someone said NordVPN is owned by a data mining company and to stay away from them. I don't know if there is any truth to that or what the negative would be if they were. You're still paying them to keep you anonymous.

Doesn't matter who you use, they all could data mine if they wanted.

Latest posts