What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Has anyone heard anything about a Win 10 based home server OS?

lowfat

Staff member
If you don't need active directory or Storage Spaces Direct , you IMO don't need Windows server. You can use Win 10 Pro Workstation for Storage Spaces Direct.

Hyper V is free for VMs. And Docker is free for containers.

Entz

how similar is the interface between Server 2019 and Windows 10 Pro?
I haven't tried 2019 but 2016 is "based" on Windows 10 as well and its pretty much identical. The differences are more in the apps/features side. 2019 should be the same, it is using the same base as the October update for Windows 10.

I think the push is to move everything over to Windows Admin Center though so a UI is not really needed.

JD

Staff member
Server 2016 = Windows 10 1607
Server 2019 = Windows 10 1809

Once you install Desktop Experience, it's pretty much Windows 10 without the MS Store and Edge.

supaflyx3

I haven't personally but I've heard a bit on STH & r/homelab of people losing data because of storage spaces dropping arrays for no reason and other stupid stuff. But I'm also biased and think windows shouldn't be used in servers unless you need AD :whistle:

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I haven't personally but I've heard a bit on STH & r/homelab of people losing data because of storage spaces dropping arrays for no reason and other stupid stuff. But I'm also biased and think windows shouldn't be used in servers unless you need AD :whistle:

reading a little FAQ Microsoft has put up for the Windows 10 version, it has a few quirks that do need to be taken into consideration. you can read it here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/12438/windows-10-storage-spaces

I'm primarily looking at making cloud storage for the family to upload their pictures, videos & stuff too. I don't really need it to stream video or audio as I use Netflix, Amazon Video, Spotify, etc.

Entz

Same /run :haha: (Plus its free)

supaflyx3

reading a little FAQ Microsoft has put up for the Windows 10 version, it has a few quirks that do need to be taken into consideration. you can read it here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/12438/windows-10-storage-spaces

I'm primarily looking at making cloud storage for the family to upload their pictures, videos & stuff too. I don't really need it to stream video or audio as I use Netflix, Amazon Video, Spotify, etc.

If that's all you need setup a minimal Ubuntu or Centos install with docker and install the nextcloud & letsencrypt docker package, and use zfs for raid.