What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Fresh rig windows 10 install freezes during startup

Cannon Fodder

An instant temperature lock would mean that the cpu reaches a temperature so high that it turns itself off to protect the pc. But as I already said the cpu's highest temp was about 45°C.
Or do you mean that because one of the spring screws is not fastened the mobo or sg in the pc detects this and causes a freeze as a means of protection? Shouldn't it just simply turn off or write some message, or don't even allow powering up the pc? What kind of protection is a freeze?

Well, yes, I would tend to think the PC would shut down if it was overheating due to an improperly installed cooler. Personally, I've only ever seen this sort of thing happen a couple of times - once when the fan on the cooler was completely stuck, and once when the mounting bracket for the cooler was cracked, causing poor contact with the CPU, and in both cases, the PC shut down almost immediately. Since you've said the temps were good, are we to assume you meant, as shown in the BIOS? And if so, can you leave the PC sitting on the BIOS screen for any length of time, without it locking up and/or shutting down, while still having the ability to maneuver through the BIOS?

Anyway, so then how could I fasten the other spring screw? Since it's quite obvious, but I still just can't do it, what am I doing wrong? The manual says perform 2-3 turns on each screw then repeat until both are fully tightened. And warns me about not using excessive force, tighten it gently.
I performed 4 turns, 2 turns and 3 turns too.

For some reason I could only tighten the spring screws when I bent the whole heatsink little to the side of the screw.
If I just align the screw thread to the mounting bar it doesn't fit in the thread. So I bend it a tiny little. But then I can't bend it to the other side because of the first one is already tightened.
I figure I should tighten it straight in, but then it's like it's blocked or something.

After re-reading that part, it seems like MAYBE you've oriented the mounting bracket incorrectly. I haven't personally used one of those coolers, but with other ones I have used, the instructions can sometimes be slightly convoluted, and the mounting bracket APPEARS as though it can be mounted in a couple of different ways, but they only mount correctly one way. If it's correctly mounted, you SHOULD be able to install the spring screws properly, by screwing each one in, only partially, alternately, until they're in all the way, with even pressure on the CPU..... nothing should have to be bent one way or the other. I suggest you re-read the instruction manual carefully, and at least make sure the cooler is installed correctly first, and THEN try to install the OS.

koppi999

Well, yes, I would tend to think the PC would shut down if it was overheating due to an improperly installed cooler. Personally, I've only ever seen this sort of thing happen a couple of times - once when the fan on the cooler was completely stuck, and once when the mounting bracket for the cooler was cracked, causing poor contact with the CPU, and in both cases, the PC shut down almost immediately. Since you've said the temps were good, are we to assume you meant, as shown in the BIOS? And if so, can you leave the PC sitting on the BIOS screen for any length of time, without it locking up and/or shutting down, while still having the ability to maneuver through the BIOS?

After re-reading that part, it seems like MAYBE you've oriented the mounting bracket incorrectly. I haven't personally used one of those coolers, but with other ones I have used, the instructions can sometimes be slightly convoluted, and the mounting bracket APPEARS as though it can be mounted in a couple of different ways, but they only mount correctly one way. If it's correctly mounted, you SHOULD be able to install the spring screws properly, by screwing each one in, only partially, alternately, until they're in all the way, with even pressure on the CPU..... nothing should have to be bent one way or the other. I suggest you re-read the instruction manual carefully, and at least make sure the cooler is installed correctly first, and THEN try to install the OS.

I will try remounting the whole cooler from the very beginning, maybe even starting with a cpu remounting.

I might try buying a 3 $ intel stock cooler and mounting so I can mount the board in its place.

I'll also try just turning things on entering the bios and leaving it there and wait (with the current) to confirm if there are acutally temperature problems (or will be). (The cooler is exactly like if it is mounted well, only difference is IF I would try to mount it in its vertical place in the case, one of the cooler's side would bend towards the other leaving a big space betwwen the cpu and the cooler. But in its current horizontal state there is no such issue, everything touches with everything physically only as it should.)

Cannon Fodder

I will try remounting the whole cooler from the very beginning, maybe even starting with a cpu remounting.

I might try buying a 3 $ intel stock cooler and mounting so I can mount the board in its place.

I'll also try just turning things on entering the bios and leaving it there and wait (with the current) to confirm if there are acutally temperature problems (or will be). (The cooler is exactly like if it is mounted well, only difference is IF I would try to mount it in its vertical place in the case, one of the cooler's side would bend towards the other leaving a big space betwwen the cpu and the cooler. But in its current horizontal state there is no such issue, everything touches with everything physically only as it should.)

Yes, you should try those other options. If you get the scenario I put in bold above, you're definitely doing something wrong..... just out of curiosity, I looked at the pdf installation instructions for that cooler, and it is as I expected, i.e. the cooler can easily be oriented to blow air towards the back of the case, or the top of the case, so there shouldn't be any issues with space between the CPU & the cooler. Good luck! (y)

koppi999

I could finally mount both spring screws on the cooler with some help :yay:. Then I mounted everything in its place.
Buuut again just the well known outcome (both with w10 and with Linux too)
However on one occasion the ez debug's Cpu led lit up....
And the fact that the cpu's integrated video doesn't work would confirm that the cpu has some problems. (or the board's video output(s) are faulty)

After mounting in everything I realized I can't fit in one mobo mounting screw because I can't access it because the cooler is too big. I don't think that one missing screw can cause a system freeze...
Nonetheless I'll remount the cpu, the cooler, and screw in all mobo screws.
If that still doesn't work, I'll buy the Intel stock cooler (hopefully the same day).
And if nothing above works I'll rma the cpu...

Cannon Fodder

If it still doesn't work after re-mounting everything, I'd suggest, that the problem is more likely to be the motherboard, than the CPU..... quite frankly, I'm surprised, that up to this point, nobody else has suggested the same. While it's not out of the realm of possibilities that it's the CPU, it's just less likely to be the CPU, than it is to be a faulty motherboard. If you know someone with similar/compatible hardware, just MAYBE you can do a hardware swap, to determine which item is actually faulty.

3lephant

I just changed my PC from Windows 10 to 8.1 for this, I had to download the Windows installation files from internet, it took time to search...... then the next challenge was to enter product key, luckily I found the product key on the internet.

Izerous

Folding Team
Have you tried running it outside the case? I recalled an issue I had years ago that had me stumped enough to take it to one of the local computer shops. Short version I left an extra standoff that I missed in place and it was shorting out the MB at a certain point and causing it to crash when that specific circuit powered up.

Latest posts