What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

No Man's Sky Next... and now Beyond

Dwayne

I bought this game months ago, on sale for $20, and never played it. How is the game for teaching noobs how to survive?

I am starting over, and they overhauled the tutorial screens. I had no real problem before, but these seem to be improved, at least to me.

Bartacus

I put in a few hours last night, and I found the tutorials good for the bare basics, but they leave a lot of stuff out. Overall, I'm kind of impressed. Sure is a lot to learn though!

Dwayne

Good high-level synopsis of the third pillar of Beyond; reducing the grind. This is certainly welcome IMO: ObsidianAnt - No Man's Sky Beyond

Thanks for the link, well thought out. But the grind, we used to call it "playing the game" :) While I appreciate the easing of requirements to work for something, I can understand the need to make these changes. People will just quit if it is too hard! OA explains it quite well.

Lysrin

Yeah, I tend to like his perspective on things. IMO playing a game and grind are not the same thing, or at least they shouldn't be. I tend to think of a grind as when devs artificially put time sinks or limitations into game mechanics simply for the purpose of slowing your progress or because they couldn't think of anything else for you to do; it isn't good game design it just makes the game take longer.

I think the inventory limitation in NMS is a good example. Originally they wanted something "realistic" perhaps, I'm guessing. This is just my thought. So limit what your character can carry. But then when they introduced building, they said they were very surprised by how much people liked it and the huge response. Now gathering the resources with the strict limitations and managing inventory becomes a grind because. So in this case they have adapted to that to capitalize on the fun game elements and let people play those more fully. Makes good sense to me.

There are other "elephants in the room" games that I am a big fan of, I won't mention any names, but I still find some of the grinds and time sinks hard to manage.

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... I don't mind grinds so long as the world is immersive. At least a third (if not significantly more) of my time spent on Oblivion was taken up by random runs through the countryside looking for potion mats and encounters. (I really should throw that back onto my laptop and see how many plugins it can survive... ;) ).

FreeKnight

Heh... I don't mind grinds so long as the world is immersive. At least a third (if not significantly more) of my time spent on Oblivion was taken up by random runs through the countryside looking for potion mats and encounters. (I really should throw that back onto my laptop and see how many plugins it can survive... ;) ).

Skyblivion's actually entered the final stages of development, so if you wait a few more months you'll probably have a much better option. They released a new trailer a couple days ago;

Played a heavily modded Oblivion last year and event with all the mods it's showing its age pretty badly. Even worse unmodded (gah those NPC faces are monstrous).

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... but now that I've seen the trailer I don't want to wait.... :) (Probably good advice though).

Bartacus

I'm starting to think they should have named this game Spelunker, as I have a tendency to burrow into the earth looking for underground caves!

Dwayne

I'm starting to think they should have named this game Spelunker, as I have a tendency to burrow into the earth looking for underground caves!

It is easy to get distracted playing this game. You start by having a general task in hand and then it happens, "oh, look over there, wildlife!" "hmm, some ancient bones" "what are those glowie things?" And suddenly a couple of hours has passed and that initial task, still not done!

Latest posts