What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Review Comment Thread

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Another day and another GPU review. I fully expect there to be howling from both the Nvidia and ATI fans in this thread since A) Once again Nvidia has significantly lowered prices B) They have released a card which outperforms the HD 4870...while retailing for the same price.

You can read the review here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...e-216-216-sp-superclocked-edition-review.html

Please use this thread for your questions, comments rants and raves

:canadianwave:

CORE216-60.JPG

Dashock

Great Review as always was waiting for a new 260 to come out, man this would be an awesome folder.

encorp

What a great surprise to wake up to this morning! hahaha, I can hear all the people who bought 260's crying already! lol Well done review as always!

ebdoradz

What a great surprise to wake up to this morning! hahaha, I can hear all the people who bought 260's crying already! lol Well done review as always!

they gona cry like those who 1st bought the GTX280 before the price drop.... ;)

but the nvidia line up is so ****** up with new card on both 9 serie and gtx serie

and will even 2 different card on the same name ...

better like ati line up ;)

Alwaysrun

Great review as always SKYMTL. As a budget minded gamer I've never felt the need to dual card as I try to find the best bang for the buck in a single card solution so that being said your review has given me pause about my Radeon 4870 decision for my new build. Now one thing I would have found useful in your review seeing the 260 and 4870 are in direct competition is an inclusion of a factory overclocked Radeon HD 4870 such as Palit's Radeon 4870 Sonic or other ATI partners juiced up model.

I've tried to find reviews that compare this EVGA 280 with a ATI oc'd 4870 but direct comparision was difficult and scores for comperable tests didn't come anywhere near what your tests fleshed out and frankly I was puzzled untill I checked the reviews test rigs and then it all made sense. Wow thats some beast of a test setup you used in your review, I'm not very knowledgable regarding bottlenecks but I would assume that wasn't an issue with your test rig and maybe it was with the other reviews I read.

Feeling hessitation about ATI partners rather poor warranties and customer service record has bothered me ever since I've been planning my new build and your spotlight on EVGAs great "value added" warrantee, step up program, and most of all the ability to throw an aftermarket cooling solution on thier cards makes my decision almost a lock for this EVGA. Maybe I'll wait and see how ATI reacts but I'm sure every budget minded gamer is going to benefit from lower costs in the ongoing war between Nvidia and ATI in the midrange graphic card segment.

Once again awesome review! :thumb:

Spaceman-Spiff

If this card is priced at USD$300, it will be around CAD$320-330 here? And is that the price of the normal edition or the Superclocked edition?

Considering the price of 4870 is now around $260-300 (usually after MIR), I think the GTX 260 Core 216 is not a good value card.

UPDATE: Seems to be $345 @ NCIX.

Last edited:

MpG

Very interesting. Looks like the rumours were true about this, after all.

I know part of the reason is the slight overclock on the Core 216, but the gap between this card and the GTX280 seems to be shrinking. Technically speaking, this didn't exactly improve the standing of their flagship card.

Did you have a chance to try overclocking the card? Any better? Worse?

SKYMTL

Staff member
Sorry I haven't been around. Been in seminars all day.

As for the price, I have a confirmation that the price we were given was SRP and nothing more. That is what happens when you have an NDA'd review.

Also, I received the card last night so no, there was no time for overclocking. Sorry.

SKYMTL

Staff member
If this card is priced at USD$300, it will be around CAD$320-330 here? And is that the price of the normal edition or the Superclocked edition?

Considering the price of 4870 is now around $260-300 (usually after MIR), I think the GTX 260 Core 216 is not a good value card.

UPDATE: Seems to be $345 @ NCIX.

I have no comment about the NCIX price but expect it to drop within the next few days. I find it is a great value vs the HD 4870 especially considering it spanks the ATI card in the majority of the tests. Not only that but it comes with a lifetime warranty, excellent customer support and a trade up program. From what I see, there is not one ATI board partner that offers even two of those things.

Latest posts