What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

No 10nm for intel desktop CPUs. Sticking with 14nm until 2022

Bond007

As per the title. Seems to be a bold call. If it’s true I can see AMD rising steadily for the next couple years.

JD

Staff member
I'd take a guess and say they simply don't care about the desktop market anymore, it's been on the decline for a while now I'd suspect with laptops and mobile likely showing increases.

Outside of people like us, I don't think many walk into a store and buy a desktop computer anymore. Even for gaming, I'd say a lot of people move towards laptops now too since they're offering pretty high specs these days.

Coach

Charlie D said a few years ago that 10nm was broken. ;)

Also I think it is a bad sign that Intel seems to be saying they are too big to fail. I am summarizing based off of a rumor (slide that Jim shared ADTV) but I could see it being real.

Last edited:

Entz

The bigger question is what is going to be 10nm not so much as when or if... Gonna pull a PR stunt and a do a dual core 15w exceptionally low yield/sales part for like thin clients or is it going to be actual 6-8 desktop chips doing 4.0+ ghz.

Entz

I'd take a guess and say they simply don't care about the desktop market anymore, it's been on the decline for a while now I'd suspect with laptops and mobile likely showing increases.

Outside of people like us, I don't think many walk into a store and buy a desktop computer anymore. Even for gaming, I'd say a lot of people move towards laptops now too since they're offering pretty high specs these days.
This is definitely true. High end gaming laptops still suck (cost and noise wise) but most are more than happy with the lower end and a console. or if USB4 fixes intels TB3 issues then it will be a moot point.

Latest posts