What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The new Google stuff - Pixel 4, Pixelbook Go, Nest, etc...

Lysrin

Just in case anyone missed it, the new Google stuff is live for pre-order. The Pixel 4 seems decent (just went to a Pixel 3 so I'm good for now) and the new Pixelbook Go seems like a decently spec'd mid to high end Chromebook. Pricey still but not crazy like the previous official Chromebooks.

Anyhow, Play Store link to save you a couple clicks ;) Google Play Store - Devices

Still no Google smartwatch though. I was hoping for that.

Here's a summary video:

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
Still no Google smartwatch though. I was hoping for that.
Yeah I was really hopeful they'd finally release one. I was also thinking they'd release their own Android TV box (like the Shield or Fire TV Cube) to go with Stadia. Sadly wrong on both fronts...for now at least.

Pixel 4 doesn't seem all that special though? If they end up doing a Pixel 4a, that might be worthwhile. I'm just not so certain about the $999+ price point of phones anymore, especially since the Pixel 3 went on sale a few months after release.

I had to RMA my Pixel 3 about 2 weeks ago as the battery was starting to bulge (nearly at the end of the 1yr warranty), so my refurbished Pixel 3 kind of feels "new" again. Still has some minor screen scratches in the top right corner though like I did to mine, must be a common place for it to happen.

Even though I wouldn't use it, I think the "star" of the show was the Nest WiFi system. Supposed to be able to do 2Gbps routing speeds and each AP acts as a smart speaker (I'm guessing it's like the 1st gen Mini, maybe reusing them). The automatic QoS/prioritization for Stadia is interesting too, wonder if it will be how they offer the "negative latency" they've been talking about.

Lysrin

Pixel 4 doesn't seem all that special though? If they end up doing a Pixel 4a, that might be worthwhile. I'm just not so certain about the $999+ price point of phones anymore, especially since the Pixel 3 went on sale a few months after release.

I had to RMA my Pixel 3 about 2 weeks ago as the battery was starting to bulge (nearly at the end of the 1yr warranty), so my refurbished Pixel 3 kind of feels "new" again. Still has some minor screen scratches in the top right corner though like I did to mine, must be a common place for it to happen.

I'll keep an eye on my Pixel 3 then! It is a used one, but in perfect shape, so far so good. Bluetooth range doesn't seem as good as my Pixel 2 though with my Pebble dropping connection in certain parts of the house, oddly enough.

I agree about the price for the Pixel 4, or any other flagship phone for that matter. That is why I have taken the stay at least a year behind in my Pixels and buying used. $475 CAD for a year old phone is much more reasonable in my mind, and off contract. I like the camera improvements on the 4 as I do take a lot of pics on my phone. The astronomy night light features is pretty impressive, even if I likely wouldn't use it much. But I am certainly not sold on the whole motion sense aspect. I think I'd turn that off day one.

I thought it was funny too in the presentation when the lady said Pixel 4 is the first smartphone with radar sensors! And was met with utter silence 😁 I think even the media are getting to the "meh... whatever..." point with smartphones. Honestly, what else do we really need them to do that would be exciting?

You're right. Nest WiFi is pretty impressive. The whole Nest ecosystem is neat, in that cool tech, creepy vibe kind of way. Home automation is something some of the folks on here are super adept at but I can certainly see Nest making more market penetration into the general user market the easier it gets to set up.

Those Nest monthly plans they mentioned, those available in Canada or is that a US thing?

JD

Staff member
The astronomy night light features is pretty impressive
It's coming to the Pixel 3 anyhow. I think they said it's a 4 minute exposure though so you'll definitely need your phone on a tripod or hard surface. Plus if you're anywhere near a large city center, there's likely too much light pollution to capture any stars.

I would imagine the Nest plans are coming here too.

Lysrin

Well, yeah 4 min exposure... you can accomplish that shot then with any real camera and a tripod. I was thinking they meant it was some kind of improved AI added to the Night Sight camera mode that accomplished that with a more reasonable exposure time. Wishful thinking ;)

JD

Staff member
When it's a tiny spec of light I don't think there's much choice especially when the sensor/lens/etc on the phone is even smaller.

Lysrin

It looks nice and promising, I haven't owned a Pixel smartphone before.

If you want pure Android and access to frequent security and OS updates Pixel is the way to go. I've had Nexus and Pixel phones for a long time now. Never been disappointed.

Izerous

Folding Team
One thing i'm going to pick on with this is some of the "new generations" of devices... specifically the home mini -> nest mini. I thinkt to justify a second generation device you need to change it more than better base response (which it did desperately need) and the addition of a screw mount. Oh they added back in the pause button they removed in an update so I don't really consider that a upgrade since it used to be there.

A lot of the changes between home -> nest versions of the devices just don't seem to justify upgrading what so ever.

Latest posts