What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Outer Worlds - Fallout In Space

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
@JD Windowed borderless or fullscreen borderless induce a 3-5% penalty last I remember so you're not crazy.

IIRC I think there is even a full frame latency penalty you pay for it too, although I'd have to dig up the benchmarks to reference it.

Lysrin

@JD Windowed borderless or fullscreen borderless induce a 3-5% penalty last I remember so you're not crazy.

IIRC I think there is even a full frame latency penalty you pay for it too, although I'd have to dig up the benchmarks to reference it.

Well good to hear my memory isn't broken on that one but that certainly makes me hope they fix the 3440x1440 support. It's a challenging enough resolution on its own. I don't need another 3-5% penalty!

ipaine

Well good to hear my memory isn't broken on that one but that certainly makes me hope they fix the 3440x1440 support. It's a challenging enough resolution on its own. I don't need another 3-5% penalty!
I was considering buying it (well or getting the Xbox game thing) until I heard about the lack of ultrawide support. Well that and the absence of any real graphical options. Frankly to not have these things in something like this in 2019 is just poor. If/once they fix that then maybe they will get my money, as it does seem like the story is reviewing well.

Lysrin

I would say the only graphical issue is the lack of ultrawide in fullscreen. Fullscreen windowed looks perfectly fine at 3440x1440, you wouldn't know the difference, just might be a small performance hit as we've said. Other than that there isn't any shortage of the normal graphical options you'd expect. Is there something specific you heard is missing @ipaine ? I could check for you. Dialog scene do drop to 2560x1440, that's true, but that's isn't anything game breaking imo.

ipaine

I would say the only graphical issue is the lack of ultrawide in fullscreen. Fullscreen windowed looks perfectly fine at 3440x1440, you wouldn't know the difference, just might be a small performance hit as we've said. Other than that there isn't any shortage of the normal graphical options you'd expect. Is there something specific you heard is missing @ipaine ? I could check for you. Dialog scene do drop to 2560x1440, that's true, but that's isn't anything game breaking imo.

From one review they mentioned this,
"Next, while the actual gameplay like shooting and looting is presented in ultrawide, conversations are 16:9 pillar boxed. Additionally, any pre-rendered cutscenes are stretched to fit the ultrawide resolution."

So dropping to 2560x1440 for the dialog I can deal with, but stretching for cutscences is just not acceptable. And then there is the fact that there are no AA options. So really if they could fix it so they have proper ultrawide support, for full screen, then I would take a look. Heck I still might, but really don't like the windowed full screen.

Oh and SLI support, which I am aware is not completely their fault but currently only turing cards are supported.

Lysrin

The cutscene stretching is certainly the one I like the least. Much rather than the cutscenes drop to 2560x1440 too if they can't be ultrawide.

Valid points for sure.

ipaine

Yea exactly, while not the best, dropping to 16:9 for cutscenes is doable, I mean many games out there do that. But to have it stretched is just wrong, always has been.

Lysrin

I did some rummaging around the web last night and found the location of the game settings files. You can set fullscreen in the game, and then change an ini file to the custom 3440x1440. It works, just don't go into the graphics menu again as it will reset to the lower fullscreen res. Doesn't affect the cutscenes or the dialog/menus. There are other mod files that change the latter, not sure about cutscenes, but I didn't mess around with downloading those. I'll post some links when I am next at my home PC.

Also the issue has been mentioned on Obsidian's official forum and a dev responded that they were checking into 3440x1440/ultrawide issues. He/she stated that the game should pick up your resolution correctly, and they thanked people for bringing the issue to their attention... :oops: You mean to tell me in the whole dev cycle they didn't have at least one ultrawide monitor to test it on?! Weird...

Some people on that forum thread commented that they had issues with Windows scaling turned on but I don't use scaling so that isn't the issue for me not getting 3440x1440 as an option. At least Obsidian is saying it is supposed to work so that should mean a proper fix at some point.

ipaine

Also the issue has been mentioned on Obsidian's official forum and a dev responded that they were checking into 3440x1440/ultrawide issues. He/she stated that the game should pick up your resolution correctly, and they thanked people for bringing the issue to their attention... :oops: You mean to tell me in the whole dev cycle they didn't have at least one ultrawide monitor to test it on?! Weird...

Bingo!!!

I might have to "test" it out and see if I can at least mod it to be acceptable. Friend of mine showed me a cutscene on his ultrawide and immediately I could tell it was just wrong. He did mention that he had changed one of the ini files to get rid of some of the visual things like the chromatic aberration.

Lysrin

Yes I did that chromatic aberration removal too. Did make things clearer to my eye.

You guys are capable of doing your own Googling I realise, but these are the links I checked out:

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Outer_Worlds - Lots of info here, including how to skip all the sponsor intro videos at game startup. Load and go right to the menu (y)
https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/1442-the-outer-worlds-ultrawide-superwide-mod/
https://www.mmorpg.com/the-outer-worlds/editorials/the-outer-worlds-pc-port-impressions-1000014063
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/110680-resolution-issues/

Last edited:

Latest posts