What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Intel CPU Constraints Are Upon Us Again

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I have just read some official documentation and it's pretty bad. we're looking at 3 - 7 week lead times for products with Intel CPU's if there's no current inventory.

talking with one of my OEM reps, they said they were hit with supply issues starting back in September.

buy AMD! :p

CMetaphor

Quadfather

Always have, always will - with very few exceptions. Unfortunately the only Intel I've bought at all recently - my AW laptop - has been such a pain in arse in every way that I regret getting it at all.

Put another way: I'd have gladly taken the exact same AW with an AMD chip in it, even if the performance was worse, just to avoid the problems the little Intel turd proc has caused me.

Do they just not give a F anymore? I know the problems I had were partially Dell's fault, but the CPU itself wasn't exactly problem-free. Just takes two seconds of googling "Intel thermal problems" and you'll find hundreds of people with problems just like I had on my laptop.

So Intel isn't manufacturing enough, the things they do make are riddled with hardware and microcode problems, and they're still charging an arm and a leg for their sub-standard crap?

As I've said before: Karma smacking them in the mouth is oh so very sweet.

JD

Staff member
we're looking at 3 - 7 week lead times for products with Intel CPU's if there's no current inventory.
Hasn't it been like this for over a year now? I remember Lenovo telling us the same thing last year when I was still on the desktop team. They had sent a glossy brochure about Ryzen Pro at the same time too.

Izerous

Folding Team
THey had announced production delays right before they annouced the 10th gen stuff so not all all surprised that its happening. Kinda surprised at a nearly 2 month lead time though.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Yeah, except that gaming rig with 3rd gen i5, right ?
Excuse me??
If you're referring to the nightmare that is my endlessly overheating intel-based Alienware, I only got it because Im no later never able to build PCs easily without a large amount of pain AND because I wanted something powerful and portable. Had there been a thing as topend ryzen-based laptop at the time, I would've taken it - and probably would've been happier as a result. But there was none. And now that Intel laptop is collecting dust whole a beg for anyone in the area to help me try and fix it while Dell themselves treated me like shit and failed to even get close to fixing it. It's a very, very expensive paperweight right now, Intel PC.

MARSTG

Saw you on another forum many moons ago you were looking for a 3rd gen core i5 combo.

rjbarker

To be quite honest when it comes to Laptops.....having realized in the past that their all pretty much garbage with a shelf life of perhaps 5 yrs (before something shvts the bed....this would include a pretty decent Asus gaming laptop I once I had a few yrs ago)....now I'll once again go against the grain .... considering theres as many Mac haters as Intel haters around here....I'll put it out there that my Mac book Pro is now 7 yrs (2013 model) and going strong...not a hiccup in that time....running the most recent OS Catalina.........Mac Books are bullet proof and looking at the value of refurb'd are pretty much a commodity..... (as I was considering replacing mine with a new one)......
....although initially a tad pricey...they will last....
.....a good analogy for a Mac Book would be a Toyota vehicle.......they last forever and hold there value......everything else is like a Ford or Chevy.. ;)

Latest posts