What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

4K laptop screen worth it?

Entz

There is some nice stuff like keep your drive as well, prevents the situation where you have a failed drive and you are not using encryption (tisk tisk on a laptop) and worry about the contents going to a refurb center. They will simply send you a new drive in the mail (and install it if required) and you destroy the old one. Or if it needs to be sent to a depot you can remove the drive ahead of time.

Due to everything being soldered on I think depot/on site is going to be even more important. Swapping boards is a PITA so why not have someone come to your office/house and do it for you :p

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
There is some nice stuff like keep your drive as well, prevents the situation where you have a failed drive and you are not using encryption (tisk tisk on a laptop) and worry about the contents going to a refurb center. They will simply send you a new drive in the mail (and install it if required) and you destroy the old one. Or if it needs to be sent to a depot you can remove the drive ahead of time.

Due to everything being soldered on I think depot/on site is going to be even more important. Swapping boards is a PITA so why not have someone come to your office/house and do it for you :p
Lenovo has been good enough to leave most (not all, but they're the exception) M.2 SSD's as replaceable...it's the RAM that's always soldered.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I'm not the biggest fan of having everything soldered on. It makes some fixes harder (and more complicated) than they need to be.
I'd rather just have to slot in a new M.2 WiFi Module than have to have the whole board removed. In warranty is one thing, because that labor is paid for. Beyond that, it's not nearly as fun as a lot of these really slim / compact units, are tough to work in.

-ST

Latest posts