What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Plex server case

Prickly007

It seems like almost every case, out of the ten or so, I had previously short listed (sometime ago) is no longer for sale. From said list, as well as a cursory search tonight, my best bet would still appear to be either an Antec P101 Silent or, more likely, a Fractal Design Define R5.

Are there any other cases worth considering?

Criteria (in order of importance):
  1. Capable of holding as many HDDs as possible
  2. Active HDD cooling
  3. no RBG*
  4. Good balance of temperature and silence*
  5. Relatively inexpensive
* I am not sure where the server will go yet, so these two criteria could assume far greater importance or none at all.

attonbitusira

Where are you located? I have two server cases from past projects I am ready to part with that match your criteria.

moocow

R5's manual had the lower and upper HDD cage placed side by side. In theory it looks like you can do 2xlower HDD cage + 1 upper cage but no where in the manual say this can be done. The other problem is that their parts store don't have anything in stock. I'm tempted to do the same thing to my Midi R2. Phanteks Eclipse P600 looks like it max out at 8x3.5 inch + 3 SSD in the back.

Prickly007

Where are you located?

Metro-Vancouver

R5's... but no where in the manual say this can be done. The other problem is that their parts store don't have anything in stock.

Apparently, one redditor found, parts are not needed; just packing foam.

Phanteks Eclipse P600

Will look at that tomorrow, thanks.

Supermicro cse-846

LOL, I am not a member of /DataHoarder. Giess I should have been more specific in my original post. :)

attonbitusira

I'm near Toronto. Probably not worth shipping costs considering the weight of the unit. Good luck in your search.

Prickly007

I looked at the Phanteks Eclipse P600, but wound up ordering a Fractal Design Define R5. It was mentioned a fair bit in the relevant subreddits, so, for once, I did not over think things.

moocow

Yeah I was kind of just throwing that suggestion out there. With the R5, you can convert the 2x5.25 bays to 3x3.5 using Icy Dock or similar cage. If you can get your hands on another lower HDD cage, wouldn't hurt to try adding it to the system.

Latest posts