What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Will AMD ever solve these problems?

vultusprime

Hello everyone!

I have been looking to buy a new gaming pc for the past year or so. I waited because several new things came out very close to one another.
At first I was going to buy intel, the choice was between the i5 9600k and the i7 9700k (the 8700k seemed out of stock).

Then the new Ryzen were released (3600, 3600x, 3700x etc..) I was very exited, especially for the ryzen 5 3600. Here was a budget cpu with plenty of gaming power. It also could be paired with a relatively cheap motherboard (MSI b450 Tomahawk) unlike the Z390s for intel.

I understand that with any new technology there are always a few rough edges to be smoothed out, so I waited a little longer. But right now AMD still has a few problems. The core voltage is unusually high and the high temperatures on idle. There are several cases of people complaining about this. Every computer forum you go you'll find post after post of people complaining about their new Ryzen stupidly high temps, like 40 and 50 on idle. There is a post of someone experiencing 70 degrees on idle!
This is from another post on a Ryzen 5 3600 "the max temp is 92-93.6. avg is 80-85 when I'm gaming. At idle state, it's around 38-45. (Room temp 28-35)" These temps are shocking! Having a cpu sitting at 40 degrees while on idle is unacceptable.

When Ryzen 3000 first came out (especially the 3600) it was hailed as the CPU of choice, a great budget option with cooler included. Right now everyone is replacing the stock coolers. You-tubers that test and compare CPUs are putting on the Ryzen 5 3600 some of the most expensive air cooler on the market (Dark Rock Pro 4, Noctual) or even water-cooling.
Water-cooling on a Ryzen 5 3600! Is this what we've come to?

I am not a fan of either blue or red, I could care less about that. But I am a fan of what works, out of the box. Of that, I am a fan!
On that aspect Intel has the advantage. Regardless of performance and price, Intel will install and work as advertised, with normal core voltages and low temps on idle. AS it should be.

Will AMD ever sort out these problems? Nothing would make my happier that buying a new Ryzen 5 3600, it's performance/price ratio is incredible. I have already prepared a list of parts for an Intel or AMD build. If these problems were fixed I'd go out today and buy it. But not when these "glitches" are still lingering, with no solution in sight.

As of now, I am once again tending towards Intel but the choice is pretty limited with only the i7 9700K. Anything below that is now pointless.
But even the i7 feels "old" as it is without HT, Intel really hit below the belt with that one and I am not happy because I'd also be spending much more. I am prepared to wait a month or 2 but eventually I must replace my aging pc.
As of right now AMD seems like the risky choice, while Intel doesn't fell like the choice of the future.

I find myself with a dilemma. I can't buy what I want, and am forced to buy something I don't really want.

lowfat

Staff member
I don't really see it as being a problem. The CPUs are designed to run at this temperature, stay below 95C and you shouldn't get any more degradation over time.

As for voltage. It only does that for a single core boost, it absolutely doesn't sustain that. It doesn't really go above ~1.3ish for a full core load.

gingerbee

Ya this CPU doesn't need an aftermarket cooler people just want there CPU's to run as cool as the first-gen ryzen which they don't but they do run fine with the stock cooler. After messing with my r9 for a few months I can tell you voltage up to 1.5 is fine it always runs at those voltages only with low current.
AMD has stated that zen 2 can run at 0.9-1.5 vcore the max safe is 1.5@ low-current 1.375 high-current.
I thought there was something funny too for the first 2 and half months or so now I am just used to watching high vcore low current and vice versa.

My 3900x runs@ 1.22-1.26 all core and single core up to 1.5. ( which we were not ready for lol its the future of CPU's I think )
I love zen 2 so much I am going to grab a 3700x-3600x I haven't made up my mind yet to replace my r7 1700 HTPC. These CPU's run more like GPU's they get every little bit of performance they can out of them.

Overclockers dont like high vcore cause with high current it kills chips causing electromigration not the case with low current high vcore is needed for high GHz frequency

some of us myself included got cold feet cause we just weren't ready for this new way of doing things I think. my2cents AMD is already building zen 2+

JD

Staff member
This is from another post on a Ryzen 5 3600 "the max temp is 92-93.6. avg is 80-85 when I'm gaming. At idle state, it's around 38-45. (Room temp 28-35)"
I realize other parts of the world are hot and a lot of people don't have air conditioning, but when your room temperature is 35C, it's not surprising that the CPU will idle at 45C. Likewise, assuming this post that you read was using the stock cooler that comes with the 3600, hitting 85C under load also seems quite normal. The stock cooler with the 3600 is mostly aluminum and isn't the greatest. A better heatsink, or perhaps an AIO watercooling unit, would help greatly when the room temperature is already so high. An Intel 9700k isn't going to run any cooler in a 35C room.

I think you'll be quite happy with a 3600. Just put a better cooler on it if you are living in a warm area.

Bond007

I don't see the temps as high at all given your high room temp, and it is completely within spec. At a more standard room temp of low 20s, that same delta would give low 70s as a max temp. On a stock cooler that seems pretty standard. If you want a better stock cooler you can go up to the 3600X.

moocow

Idle at 70 degree C? Yeah something is off here, either the user stuffed the component in a cheapest case possible, don't have a good airflow, forgot to remove the plastic film on the thermal paste under the cooler, and/or didn't sit the heatsink correctly. I seen people in a Hong Kong office just stuff their mini PC against the cubical wall or a bunch of document. Of course it's going to overheat even with office AC on.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Idle at 70 degree C? Yeah something is off here, either the user stuffed the component in a cheapest case possible, don't have a good airflow, forgot to remove the plastic film on the thermal paste under the cooler, and/or didn't sit the heatsink correctly. I seen people in a Hong Kong office just stuff their mini PC against the cubical wall or a bunch of document. Of course it's going to overheat even with office AC on.

It says idle at 38-45c. If the room is 28-35c that seems totally acceptable.

gingerbee

Yet intel can hit 100c and folks think its totally normal :ROFLMAO: anyone with 70c idle has a physical issue cooler/mount/plastic film something, you do not have a 70c idle with a properly setup system lol even the first bios out only had my r9 idling at 35/40c and it's just gotten better

Latest posts