What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

M.2 NVMe Compatibility

superFlint

Hi,

I was looking at getting a M.2 drive. I was looking at the Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V7E1T0BW) and was wondering if my motherboard supports it. I have an ASUS H97 Plus board and it says in the manual it supports both SATA and PCIe modes on the M.2 port, so I assume it will work, but the board is a few years old now and that drive is new so maybe it will not work? I dunno.

Anyone have same board and drive and does it work? Should it work?

Thanks.

Entz

Both are M-Key. Should be fine, you may need a bios update to support booting from it though.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Another Asus H97 board, but this video may help walk you through setting it up.

superFlint

Thanks for the info. Almost ordered it, but reading now that I will not notice much of a difference over my SSDs as I am only gaming and web browsing. So I dunno what I am going to do, get this or save $60-70 and get a SSD.

But thanks for the info!!!

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
There's very little real-world difference between NVMe and SATA SSD's. On a system of this vintage I'd just go with a SATA drive.

superFlint

Yeah it seems like they are for transferring a lot of data or doing some encoding. I was going to do a MB, CPU, RAM upgrade this year but decided to try to find a decent case and upgrade that next year. Figured Id get a M.2 now and use it in new board too. None of the cases went on sale this weekend so now I dont know what to do. :( Well, one did go on sale but it was not even in stock at the shop when it went on sale, I checked as soon as I got the email this morning before it would have had a chance to sell out. They had 2 versions of the case a white one and black one, the black was on sale but not in stock and the white was in stock but not on sale, that seemed odd.

Now do I keep with the Crucial SSDs or try my first Samsung SSD!

Thanks again!

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
There's very little real-world difference between NVMe and SATA SSD's. On a system of this vintage I'd just go with a SATA drive.
tbh, the only time I can prove I can notice a difference is drive-to-drive nvme transfers. Those are faster than fast.

superFlint

Yeah that makes sense. That is where you should really see it if you are going to notice it.

Got that given up on now and going with a case. I think the Lian Li 011D XL. Got 6 120LLs ordered since they were on sale so now I really need the case. I was going to go with the normal 011D but then I seen the XL and it has 4 hot swap bays and a little RGB stip and I like those 2 extra USB ports on the bottom. I could have used a hot swap bay many times in the past when people bring their hard drives to me to recover data, but I had to shut down and open her up and hook up their hard drive. I was trying to figure out if the hot swap bays can use SSDs. Everywhere I look it says 3.5" HDDs but I did find one youtube reviewer who said that you can hot swap SSDs. Hopefully he is right.

Thanks again for the help guys!

nToxik

Thanks again!

Unless something has recently changed, I'm leary of purchasing Samsung SSDs as there is no warranty in Canada. Samsung Canada won't even acknowledge that they are sold here. You have to RMA them to some company (not Samsung) in the USA.

ipaine

Unless something has recently changed, I'm leary of purchasing Samsung SSDs as there is no warranty in Canada. Samsung Canada won't even acknowledge that they are sold here. You have to RMA them to some company (not Samsung) in the USA.

And further in support of Crucial their RMA procedure is fairly simple. Oh but one thing, make sure you take a picture of the labels on the box as the numbers they want for the drive type are only on the box. Otherwise the RMA is simple and straight forward. Plus they are usually cheaper.

Latest posts