What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Kraken x72 or Corsair H150i

danmitch1

You can also look for some kind of spot cooling... my motherboard came with a chipset fan standoff and I used it to direct the airflow of a 50mm fan over my NVMe drive when it was in the flat-on-the-motherboard position. (It's been moved to the vertical mount so I don't need the active cooling any more).

As per my previous comment... while getting fresh air onto it might be optimum, as long as your interior case temps aren't crazy high you can get away with finding a way to ensure airflow over the M.2 Drive.

(Images in this post... https://hardwarecanucks.com/forum/t...40-50mm-fan-for-cooling-ssd.77581/post-868810 )
Vertical mount? Yeah, I mean its only peaking at that temp, my room might have been on the warm side as well
Double check your motherboard manual for the schematic showing the distribution for PCIe lanes, it might be as you say, or a different way. I've seen sometimes the Cpu providing only the first 16x slot and then the Northbridge handled the rest. So double check, maybe your M.2 *is* fastest in the M.2 slot, so you'll have to decide if the small performance hit of going through the NB (if it does) is worth the extra heat of it being flat against the mobo.

Yeah , the NB handles the first NB slot ( the one im using ) plus as I mentioned, I will like to save the 16x for my gpu and possible second gpu.
Sooo , im looking into some fans!

sswilson

Staff member
Vertical mount? Yeah, I mean its only peaking at that temp, my room might have been on the warm side as well

Yeah , the NB handles the first NB slot ( the one im using ) plus as I mentioned, I will like to save the 16x for my gpu and possible second gpu.
Sooo , im looking into some fans!

My motherboard has 2 M.2 slots. One is flat against the motherboard directly under the vid card, the other mounts vertically off of the motherboard which places the drive in a much better position for taking advantage of case airflow.

sswilson

Staff member
I've also applied copper enzotech heatsinks to each individual chip to encourage as much possible heat dissipation. ;)

danmitch1

ohh nice, ive got a bunch of those lying around somewhere never thought of using them for the m2!

sswilson

Staff member
ohh nice, ive got a bunch of those lying around somewhere never thought of using them for the m2!

Yeah, I went with individual heatsinks on each chip when I found that the full length heatsink seemed to be raising the controller temps. Not completely sure but I suspected that the higher temps of the storage chips were being induced to the controller (mentioned in that thread I linked to).

Soultribunal

Staff member
I quite literally have dozens of all the different sizes, spare 3M thermal tape, and a whack of other goofy little cooling things that I never could bear to throw out even though I don't have my own Desktop build right now (maybe in the new year when finances are potentially better).

I love Enzotech.

-ST

danmitch1

Yeah, I went with individual heatsinks on each chip when I found that the full length heatsink seemed to be raising the controller temps. Not completely sure but I suspected that the higher temps of the storage chips were being induced to the controller (mentioned in that thread I linked to).
How hot was your drive running at?
Heh... have you seen how much those enzos are worth these days???? ;)

Holy crap, thats expensive. I was trying to sell them for 15$ a little while ago
I quite literally have dozens of all the different sizes, spare 3M thermal tape, and a whack of other goofy little cooling things that I never could bear to throw out even though I don't have my own Desktop build right now (maybe in the new year when finances are potentially better).

I love Enzotech.

-ST
Not worth throwing out, not what the misses would say though lol...

Latest posts