What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

here's the beginner NAS to buy!

Izerous

Folding Team
The pre-production ones I was more poking fun at than anything it was like a graveyard, they were development models.

It was a seagate production model with production drives that truly died. Even swapping out the drives the thing never worked properly and never had proper failover. And it was un-related to the ones mentioned above.

JD

Staff member
NAS that I could use for Plex and light use as a remote file server / NAS (mostly to dump some company files, scans in once in a while, very little active use and primarily small (<5MB) writes?
Technically the NVIDIA Shield could be your "NAS" as it is able to run a Plex Server and be a SMB file share. Your storage would be a single USB external HDD though...

If you're looking at a QNAP/Synology/ASUSTOR, etc, I'm guessing you'll be somewhere around the $400 price range to get something that's Intel based so you have a bit of grunt for Plex.

FreeKnight

Technically the NVIDIA Shield could be your "NAS" as it is able to run a Plex Server and be a SMB file share. Your storage would be a single USB external HDD though...

If you're looking at a QNAP/Synology/ASUSTOR, etc, I'm guessing you'll be somewhere around the $400 price range to get something that's Intel based so you have a bit of grunt for Plex.
I didn't realize that, I could always just periodically back up to a second HDD then and spend the NAS money on the shield instead :unsure:

Thanks JD

JD

Staff member
I didn't realize that, I could always just periodically back up to a second HDD then and spend the NAS money on the shield instead :unsure:
Yeah I guess it all depends what kind of solution you're looking for. Using the Shield as a file server obviously isn't its intended purpose, it's mostly there to copy your media to it, or say an APK. You don't get any permission/access control that a NAS would give you.

Gaming branding aside, this has decent specs: https://www.asustor.com/product?p_id=61. Canada Computers has it on sale for $389 currently. You should be able to plug it into your TV as well to use as a media player, though not quite as feature rich as a Shield. Likely only whatever Plex or Kodi can provide.

FreeKnight

Yeah I guess it all depends what kind of solution you're looking for. Using the Shield as a file server obviously isn't its intended purpose, it's mostly there to copy your media to it, or say an APK. You don't get any permission/access control that a NAS would give you.

Gaming branding aside, this has decent specs: https://www.asustor.com/product?p_id=61. Canada Computers has it on sale for $389 currently. You should be able to plug it into your TV as well to use as a media player, though not quite as feature rich as a Shield. Likely only whatever Plex or Kodi can provide.
That might actually fit the bill. I might grab one and a shield. I mean it's my birthday tomorrow so I may as well :LOL:.

Didn't realize Asus ran asustor (though it makes sense) so at least the hardware's probably decent quality.

Skippman

I was going to recommend the QNAP TS-451+ which has quad core Celeron processor and can be had for like $375 USD, but it looks like it's a wopping $643 Canadian on Amazon.ca

Latest posts