What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Retiring 1366, 1500$ to spend

Chromey

After a long relation-ship, Its time to move on.
Old system:
Intel X5670 (4.4g)
Asus p6x58d premium
16gb ram
Asus 1070GTX Rog

Please make suggestions. This PC is 100$ for gaming only.
I need a OS drive.
I plan to reuse the 1070 for now.
Im ok with used parts too.

Bond007

AMD is the way to go right now.

CPU - Ryzen 3600 or better for the CPU (with your budget I would probably go for a 3700X).
Ram - 2x16gb of your favorite 3600mhz ram (sweet spot with ryzen)
Motherboard - X570 of your choice. You could step down to something like a B450 if you want, but given how long you have had your last build I would go for X570
NVMe SSD - 1TB (go for a pcie 4 variant, something like an MP600).
PSU - assuming your power supply is old, I would go for something like an RMx 650 watt (alternatives being seasonic focus plus gold or EVGA G3).

Chromey

AMD is the way to go right now.

CPU - Ryzen 3600 or better for the CPU (with your budget I would probably go for a 3700X).
Ram - 2x16gb of your favorite 3600mhz ram (sweet spot with ryzen)
Motherboard - X570 of your choice. You could step down to something like a B450 if you want, but given how long you have had your last build I would go for X570
NVMe SSD - 1TB (go for a pcie 4 variant, something like an MP600).
PSU - assuming your power supply is old, I would go for something like an RMx 650 watt (alternatives being seasonic focus plus gold or EVGA G3).
All looks good. my current PS is a corsair1000w

rjbarker

Just a heads up...a ton of AMD suggestions here...given the problems they seem to have getting there multiple cores to what...4.4 - 4.5 Ghz.........and considering your primarily "gaming only" .....for the $600 ,,all in CPU Intel offer a 8 Core 16 Thread CPU that can reach 5 Ghz all cores (no fvckin around)......gaming bliss.....AMD isn't the only choice right now ;)....I come on for gaming....it really is about Clock speeds (reasonable amount of cores) processing that GPU info........for gaming its about speed.....although if Budget minded and want to save a few hundred bucks....then look at AMD I suppose..

Last edited:

nToxik

The issue I have with Intel right now is that with so many security vulnerabilities, I think a lot of the testing doesn't have these vulnerabilities patched (either windows or BIOS). I mean Intel even recommends turning Hyperthreading off as the only solution to fix some of these. I'm sure many people don't really care about these vulnerabilities for their home PCs but I think Intel performance would suffer more if testing was actually done while patching and/or following these recommendations.

That said, clock speed is big for a lot of games but not all games and we're seeing more games that benefit from more cores rather than just clock speed. And well Intel is more expensive in pretty much every aspect (except possibly motherboard).

Cptn Vortex

Will add to this, the 5ghz Intel vs 4.4ghz AMD, technically AMD has a better IPC, so there's basically margin of error when it comes to differences in gaming. We're talking 1-2% here. So I'd go best value. Decent X570 board, 3700X, 16GB 3600MHZ RAM, and a 1TB MP600. With a couple hundy to spare, think about selling the 1070 and getting a 2060S or 2070 which can be had for around $500 right now.

Bond007

Just a heads up...a ton of AMD suggestions here...given the problems they seem to have getting there multiple cores to what...4.4 - 4.5 Ghz.........and considering your primarily "gaming only" .....for the $600 ,,all in CPU Intel offer a 8 Core 16 Thread CPU that can reach 5 Ghz all cores (no fvckin around)......gaming bliss.....AMD isn't the only choice right now ;)....I come on for gaming....it really is about Clock speeds (reasonable amount of cores) processing that GPU info........for gaming its about speed.....although if Budget minded and want to save a few hundred bucks....then look at AMD I suppose..

I agree that it is an option for gaming only.

The issue is, you pay the same (or more), it’s not as powerful in other tasks, you get less pcie lanes for things like nvme ssd, and it’s a dead end platform.

For 95% of people AMD is the better way to go for your $ right now. If you don’t care about the negatives and want the couple extra % fps in games, then intel is a valid option...just not one I currently recommend (just like how I didn’t recommend amd for the last number of years for most people).

MARSTG

rjbarker is a 3DMark record holder and is sponsored by Intel, so is natural for him to propose Intel configuration, unfortunately nobody wants Intel anymore since July 2019.

Latest posts