What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

Shadowmeph

Ordered an SD card with the intention of throwing retro-pi onto it and trying it out on the R-Pi I normally use for my 3D printer.... Got here in record time.... set it aside while I dealt with other stuff.... realised once I sat down and opened the package that I'd ordered a full size SD card as opposed to a microSD w/ full sized adapter.... :-/

I'm not even sure I've got a device in the house that I'd use it with.... ah well.... I guess it's a spare for my camera......
my first raspi I bought 2 sd cards hehe the realized oops they need to be micro sd ended up buying an adapter and then realized that it has a 6 inch cable that dangles grr I still am searching for a way that actually works with out having to use an sd type card as boot for SSD on my raspi4 but so far haven't found anything apparently it could be done on previous raspi's but not the raspi4

JD

Staff member
Ya I am thinking I may need to make a similar call cause that's for 50mbps down and 10mbps up with bell and my only real problem is the price increase for no reason.
They were supposed to halt the price increases this month due to COVID-19. However yes, their pricing doesn't really make sense since it doesn't scale with the speed. The difference between 150/500/1000/1500 is $10 for each step up, yet you gain/lose 50% (or more) in speed.

Izerous

Folding Team
my first raspi I bought 2 sd cards hehe the realized oops they need to be micro sd ended up buying an adapter and then realized that it has a 6 inch cable that dangles grr I still am searching for a way that actually works with out having to use an sd type card as boot for SSD on my raspi4 but so far haven't found anything apparently it could be done on previous raspi's but not the raspi4

I have not tried it myself but there are a few people like the following who seem to claim it will work once you jump through some hoops.

Would be nice to make this simpler and just work.

lowfat

Staff member
Currently it isn't possible to run w/o the sd card. Its stupid hard to setup compared to a Pi3B. Even my Pi2B didn't require stuff like renaming the partuuid.

The above 'Guy w/ the Swiss accent' vid seems thorough. But I'd suggest resizing the ssd before you set it to the boot drive. You generally can't resize the root fs while its in use. He also missed that you should add 'usb-storage.quirks=152d:0578:u' to the cmdline.txt file w/ that specific USB3.0 adapter to improve performance significantly.

sswilson

Staff member
My main PC quit on me overnight.....

Power to some fans as well as RGB on the board + memory was lighting but nothing else.... No beeps, no power going to the keyboard (over USB), no signal to run the cpu fan......

I was just getting ready to start ripping the bloody thing apart to work on it outside of the case with a different PSU but did the standard quick check on cable connections and discovered that the 24pin appeared to have backed off a bit. Reseated it and I appear to be back up and running.

Now apparently I need to dig up a new motherboard speaker as it appears this one isn't working.... :)

G

My main PC quit on me overnight.....

Power to some fans as well as RGB on the board + memory was lighting but nothing else.... No beeps, no power going to the keyboard (over USB), no signal to run the cpu fan......

I was just getting ready to start ripping the bloody thing apart to work on it outside of the case with a different PSU but did the standard quick check on cable connections and discovered that the 24pin appeared to have backed off a bit. Reseated it and I appear to be back up and running.

Now apparently I need to dig up a new motherboard speaker as it appears this one isn't working.... :)
This has happened to me a couple of time also, what I find curious is how they can come off by themselves but when I want to remove them it is like picking up Thor's hammer.

My rant: Had to go out in public today, 3 times ppl just walkup to your face to ask stupid questions. Yes this is the line for the bank, now step the fuck off. I finally lost it the third time around, "get the f*ck away I have a compromised immune system" ( transplant )and am on predasone. I get Covid chances are super high I am dead, COPD also.
You go into Walmart and there is a ton of 20-30 yo coughing and gagging, no mask no covering of their mouths.

JD

Staff member
My rant: Had to go out in public today, 3 times ppl just walkup to your face to ask stupid questions. Yes this is the line for the bank, now step the fuck off. I finally lost it the third time around, "get the f*ck away I have a compromised immune system" ( transplant )and am on predasone. I get Covid chances are super high I am dead, COPD also.
You go into Walmart and there is a ton of 20-30 yo coughing and gagging, no mask no covering of their mouths.
That's really unfortunate. Granted I've only gone to 1 grocery store since all this has happened (every Wednesday) and people are relatively respectful. Hard to keep 6ft away though as no area is really wide enough, but 2-3ft is doable. Seen people with masks and gloves, didn't really hear anyone coughing though. That's not to say we aren't all infected though...

Latest posts