What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

COVID-19 work conditions

sswilson

Staff member
I suppose this is loosely tied into working conditions....

Canadian Tire now has Curbside P/U for online "in-store" pickup orders.

Makes me wonder how many big changes we'll end up seeing from all of this... I imagine it's already pointed a lot of folks towards online purchases for items they'd never have considered in the past. (I was already doing a lot of store P/U online orders in order to get the Rakaten "discount").

JD

Staff member
Seems a lot of places are doing that now, wonder if it will continue to stick around afterwards or not. I suspect the reason for not offering it before though was to get you into the store and perhaps see something else that catches your eye while your picking up your order.

Loblaws family of stores seem overwhelmed with the pickup orders too, I can't even get a date and they book 2 weeks out already. I think it's challenging to "flatten the curve" when people need to go out to buy food and essentials still. Especially now that it typically means going to multiple stores to find what you need. Was just driving around downtown yesterday to get out of the house for a bit (didn't get out of the car) and saw a lot of lineups outside pretty much every Shoppers and grocery store we drove past. Even LCBO and Canada Computers had lineups.

I have orders on Amazon for some essential care products since I've yet to find them around here, but I only go to 1 store a week to try to limit my exposure as much as possible. Amazon has no real ship dates either, hand soap ETA is April 29 😳

KaptCrunch

A lilltle late for staff and products, that is the right thing to do with corvid among us is curb service will keep it clean for in god's knows who is a carrier of virus

Shadowmeph

a little off topic here there people are not to smart there was a rumor going around on social media saying the Surrey police were pulling people over to look at ID to make sure that people in the car had the same address if not there were arrested or fined because of the social distancing hehe I chuckled because people are so gullible to believe such things. the Surrey RCMP and the Delta Police had to make statements saying that this isnt true they are not doing such things

Last edited:

Arinoth

Staff member
I am still working from home as I'm able to. My company was able to get itself to be classified as an essential business so if people have to go into the office when they can't work from home they can without getting in trouble.

moocow

a little off topic here there people are not to smart there was a roomer going around on social media saing the Surrey police were pulling people over to look at ID to make sure that people in the car had the same address if notr there were arrested or fined because of the social distancing hehe I chuckled because people are so gullible that the Surrey RCMP and the Delt Police had top make statements saying that this isnt true

Really, I thought they went on the record saying they aren't doing that. At least that's what I remember reading on Citynews 1130 website.

At this point, I don't think we be free to roam around until at least June. Now I got to go cancel my work's monthly parking.

Shadowmeph

Really, I thought they went on the record saying they aren't doing that. At least that's what I remember reading on Citynews 1130 website.

At this point, I don't think we be free to roam around until at least June. Now I got to go cancel my work's monthly parking.
I thought that was what I said ( I will have to read what I typed again lol) the social media posts were saying there were but in reality they are not . I am pretty sure it wil lstart t osettle down then come back in fall because of the flu season again.

moocow

I thought that was what I said ( I will have to read what I typed again lol) the social media posts were saying there were but in reality they are not . I am pretty sure it wil lstart t osettle down then come back in fall because of the flu season again.

Oh, I'm sorry. I re-read your post, I basically speed read the thing and miss the last sentence. This COVID rumor / troll train started on WeChat a long time ago. I heard crap like "so and so working at this restaurant got infected" or making up BS prevention methods. Or it could be a foreign governmet PSYOP in play on those platforms.

bassnut

As a contractor for Canada Post life goes on almost as normal. For those waiting on packages things are picking up and have been real busy since mid last week. Monday I had some 203 packages for delivery that's about 160 ish actual stops. I'm in at 5:30 am sorting organising and loading my day then out on the road till 5 - 7pm.

If you haven't heard the changes Signature have been removed (about 2 weeks now) Starting last week there is no such thing as no safe drop we have implemented a knock drop and leave policy for everything except Customs collections and Age Verification Signature (recreational Weed and alcohol mostly) they are sent to your local outlet. These new changes have helped shorten my day for the most part I have been done by 5pm. This week they started rotating the mail carriers 2 shifts 1st in at 6:30 am and second at 8:30am to help reduce crowding at the Post Office. I can't say for sure that all of these changes are country wide but I would think so.

You still get the odd intelligent person that come rushing out to get their stuff but most have given us space to do our thing I don't interact with many people during the day anymore. Weed, Bra's and David's Tea seem to be the biggest seller gains all are up between + 300 - 700% you can guess which is the biggest gain most of that goes straight to the post office outlets.

JD

Staff member
Did my Wednesday grocery run, though a bit later today (2PM instead of 11AM). Store was quite a bit busier, the checkout line was wrapping around the store, and this is a fairly large Real Canadian Superstore. Not entirely sure why they had let so many people in though since when I was leaving around 3PM, there was now a line up outside yet the store inside was pretty empty. Seemed like there was some disconnect/delay in whoever was counting people and deciding to "close" the store.

They still had the single line for manned checkout lanes with tape on the floor to mark 6ft but now they had the plexiglass shields up around the cashiers. The self checkout though did not have any such lines on the floor, and people were lining up pretty close to eachother.

Mostly stocked this week though, with even some paper products available. Only thing totally missing was hand sanitizer. There was a few bottles of hand soap. At least some sense of normalcy in that regard.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with limiting the number of people in the store though, ultimately I still have to walk by multiple people at close distance while traversing the store. Did my best to keep distance or turn away, but only so much you can do. There was also groups of employees restocking shelves and on break chatting, which weren't following any 6ft distance either.

Starting to think they are going to just have to shut the stores entirely to the public and increase their ability to do pickup orders. None of the RCS/Loblaws around me have any available pickup times though, and that's already 2 weeks booked.

Kudos again to those working the front lines though!

Latest posts