What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Mounting speakers to wood paneling

Izerous

Folding Team
So I never really intended to be spending so much time in the basement until the kids were older. Well with schools closed and avoiding the office it is the quietest place in the house most of the time.

I like the wood paneling on this wall it works well as feature wall and suits the house and I intended to leave it as is. Except for mounting the TV I have avoided making any further holes. The pictures were hung via existing screws etc.

I was looking at mounting the small speakers to the wall (intended to get something different in the future) but I'd like to avoid additional holes in the wood. I was thinking french cleat kind of approach but there isn't an angled grove to hang off of its pretty square so it wouldn't have the grip just hanging there.

And yes there is a VCR down here found a random VHS tape in the ceiling while running optical cables with the Telus install tech and curiosity got the best of me.

Attachments

• 1587659683905939110760126079996.jpg
    1587659683905939110760126079996.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 15876597672879175150833644691304.jpg
    15876597672879175150833644691304.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 12

Izerous

Folding Team
Id assume a male teenager maybe 18-19 had the basement mostly to himself, based on the empty alberta pure vodka I also found randomly in the ceiling and other places, and from how things looked when we viewed the house.

VHS had well VHS recorded quality adult content

JD

Staff member
How heavy are the speakers? 3M makes some pretty strong doublesided tapes that might work? Though I suppose there's a chance of leaving reside behind when you go to remove, but at least there wouldn't be holes in the wood.

Izerous

Folding Team
How heavy are the speakers? 3M makes some pretty strong doublesided tapes that might work? Though I suppose there's a chance of leaving reside behind when you go to remove, but at least there wouldn't be holes in the wood.

The tapes I can think of are meant more for smooth surfaces, the wood has a rough sawn texture so commands strips etc wouldn't have a chance of sticking. For their size they are heavier than i'd expect for such small speakers but I have not weighed them.

Maybe I should just hang everything from the ceiling but not sure what that would do to how it all sounds. Don't care about the roof nearly as much.

clshades

If the speakers are relatively light? Like Telus tv box light, the 3M wide velcro works really well. If I wore a 3m velcro suit I could hang myself on the wall.

Wall mount or ceiling mount, I bought mine from prime cables. Very good quality, great price. I tried the floor stands and they were terrible.

Or lastly you could use a light weight L-bracket velcroed to the TV and then attach the speakers to the bracket.

Izerous

Folding Team
An almost 3 year old with a destructive streak, and a nearly 7yo who is hyper from not being able to play with her friends. Part of the goal is to move some stuff out of the war path. Plan on putting a cover where the consoles are too.

Upstairs I have something similar for the TV stand and I have a child safety lock keeping the doors closed she literally brute forced the doors open braking the handle the child safety lock was secured to...

I need to build a larger plate for the speakers upstairs too. They are on carpet and are tall and skinny. They have spikes on them that go through the carpet and it helps but a bump from a toddler and over they will go.

Izerous

Folding Team
When she knocked over the tower I had flashbacks of highschool parties. Fixed a stereo (blown fuses) and had it running right near the limits but the speakers sat up on a ledge. One shook itself right off the ledge and shattered wood splintering cabinet was completely toast.

Trying to avoid repeat destruction. Speaker stands keep things in reach

Latest posts