What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Is the 3300X not getting the press it deserves?

Bond007

Gamers nexus just did a best CPUs so far of 2020. The 3300X is their best budget gamer as well.

I honestly don’t know what else to say. I think it has received tons of praise as an amazing cpu for its price bracket.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Type into google "best gaming cpu 2020" and the majority of the results. Anandtech, tomshardware, pcgamer, gamesradar, etc.

I'm not saying benchmarks aren't showing the 3300X has great performance, I'm complaining that the recommendations for gaming CPUs tends to be like "oh, this CPU is a budget CPU for budget gaming" and are giving more weight to price categories and overall performance instead of gaming performance.

Not sure why B550 would be a deciding factor? You can drop it in B450 or X570 right now, or even older generations.

'Best' doesnt always mean 'most cost effective', and reviewers metrics of best can easily be skewed for...whatever...reasons. A 3800x is 'Better' than a 3300x in almost all games, all else being equal. Is it "best" then?

I'd say no, but only cause I would do a dollar/perf analysis and say "wow, an extra x% FPS for 200% canadian rupies? No thanks.

Fair point. But I notice this line in the Anandtech article:
AMD lists the 3300X as a $120 processor; however it’s only available for $200, making it less than a viable option.

Its $175 CAD at almost every retailer in Canada, so that might have been a release day limited supply blip.

I'd say its unlikely any B450 is going to support the 3300x without a bios flash. So unless the board has bios flashback ability over usb, its not going to work.

Pretty much all the major YouTube hardware channels show the 3300x as being the best gaming budget CPU, including HWC.

EDIT: I may be wrong about the compatibility w/ B450. I just looked at my board, and it shows it has supported the 3300x since July last year.

You might be confusing the Zen3 4000 series compatibility 'talk' with 400 series chipsets. I believe the last news of that is they're pulling Zen1 support from 400 series boards to allow Zen3 support.

draemn

Gamers nexus just did a best CPUs so far of 2020. The 3300X is their best budget gamer as well.

I honestly don’t know what else to say. I think it has received tons of praise as an amazing cpu for its price bracket.
I think we just have a difference in opinion. Why can't you compare the 3300X against the 3900X and 9900k just because it's in a different price bracket?

To me, "best" isn't paying a 400% markup for a 7% performance gain at best in specific games that can utilize the extra cores and a 0-3% gain in games that don't benefit from the extra cores. Based off the benchmarks I see, a 3300X isn't just a "budget CPU" for gaming. It's a rock solid CPU for playing games without the price premium. We're talking about gaming computers, not video editing workstations.

moocow

I think you are confusing cost with value. It's low cost but high value CPU. It's still called a budget because of cost, the word never implied value. Like Steve @ GN said in his video, if you need strictly a gaming machine, a 3300X will do the trick. Now, if the cost of a i5-10600K isn't too far off, that's probably a better CPU because you can OC it to match i9-10900K performance in games.

draemn

I think you are confusing cost with value. It's low cost but high value CPU. It's still called a budget because of cost, the word never implied value. Like Steve @ GN said in his video, if you need strictly a gaming machine, a 3300X will do the trick. Now, if the cost of a i5-10600K isn't too far off, that's probably a better CPU because you can OC it to match i9-10900K performance in games.
I politely disagree. When I look up an article on "best gaming CPU of 2020," I think best should be more complex than a lazy "best CPU for $500, best for $300, best for $150..." I want them to tell me what's worth buying for the intended task, not give me a summary of the benchmark comparison of CPUs that sell at the same price range.

Fair enough to also have a comparison of CPUs with over-clocking potential factored in, as long as you make that comparison in addition to stock as some users plan to o/c and others don't. The 3300X has some okay headroom for running higher clock speeds, but nothing game winning and you'll want a different CPU if your goal is a high over-clock for extra performance.

Edit: just finished doing some more reading on the 10600k and that does look like one hell of a great gaming CPU when you add in the over-clocking potential or if you plan to stick to 1080p gaming with a high refresh rate.

Last edited:

Bond007

I think we just have a difference in opinion. Why can't you compare the 3300X against the 3900X and 9900k just because it's in a different price bracket?

To me, "best" isn't paying a 400% markup for a 7% performance gain at best in specific games that can utilize the extra cores and a 0-3% gain in games that don't benefit from the extra cores. Based off the benchmarks I see, a 3300X isn't just a "budget CPU" for gaming. It's a rock solid CPU for playing games without the price premium. We're talking about gaming computers, not video editing workstations.

I think we are talking the same thing, but interpreting phrasing differently. I always shop in the bang for buck world, so the high end stuff is completely out of the cards for anything for me.

The being said, the “best” of something, unless it has a amplifying info like under x $ or for a specific purpose) should always be the best. A 3300X is not the best. What it is though, is a cpu that gets you almost the performance of the best for a fraction of the price. And with that you can call it many things...best budget cpu, best gaming cpu under X$, editors choice, bang for buck champion, etc etc. It is many good things, but not the “best” without constraints.

It is a cpu I would consider buying, since I always go for bang for buck.

Izerous

Folding Team
When you ask what the best is like that they your looking for best overall and the 3300X isn't best overall. A 10% FPS loss is still a 10% loss, a 1% loss even is still a loss.

It is very easily argued one of the best value processors, but that doesn't make it the best overall. Quite a few people including myself told people to wait on the 3100/3300X releases.

And at $175 for the 3300X & $155 for the 3100 we are not getting amazing value with our Canadian releases, thats more of a price increase than just the currency exchange should be.

What you will see is that when a lot of best gaming under $1000 / $1500 / $2000 type videos come out that Linus/BitWit etc tend to do you will probably see a lot of those lower budget builds make use of it's amazing value especially to leave room in the budget for a better GPU etc.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
And at $175 for the 3300X & $155 for the 3100 we are not getting amazing value with our Canadian releases, thats more of a price increase than just the currency exchange should be.

The dollar is nearly 1.4 CAD to USD at the banks (market rate is 1.36 as of about 40 seconds ago). The 3300x MSRP is $130. So $175 is totally reasonable actually.

Izerous

Folding Team
Ahh right i was using the wrong base was thinking 3300X was msrp of $99 USD but that was the 3100. NVM exchange is close.

Latest posts