What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

UDM Pro

zoob

Bell gigabit plan here too. With direct connection using the bell sfp to the USG-PRO, could only manage 600 down, 600 up. With the HH3000 in bridge mode and using a cat6 0.5m cable, down is 950 up is 750.

That's upsetting, though on the USG-Pro could it be PPPoE overhead causing the slowdown rather than SFP?

I'm 90% certain this same issue was affecting the USG-XG-8 as well but sold it off before the UDMP SFP+ bug became an issue people talked about.

JD

Staff member
Yes I'm on Bell Gig. Speeds suffer when using SFP+ link from UDMP to switches so I've swapped to using RJ45 (see post #4). It affects my Wifi clients more noticeably than desktops. With RJ45 I get faster Wifi speeds and 'fast enough' for my desktops since there's little inter-vlan routing going on. Download from certain sites with RJ45 can still hit over 100 MB/s so I'm not too upset about missing that last 25 MB/s heh.

Some people suggested it may have something to do with having VLANs but I haven't yet bothered testing with a fully flat network.

WAN: Bell -(2.5G SFP)-> USW-PRO -(10G Cisco DAC)-> UDMP
LAN: UDMP -(1G RJ45)-> USW-Pro

Recent testing by other people in UI forum show no improvement. I've tried several different connectivity options and none of it helped, though this was some time ago. Tested with 3M/1M/0.5M DACs all different brands, 10GBase-T adapters (Mikrotik rev1 and rev2), different switches ( USW-PRO, and with injectors US-16-XG, TP-Link), and it's been slow in every instance of using SFP+. See my post here: https://community.ui.com/questions/...4#answer/89e9841c-83f5-4e41-95b0-e085592ee4fb
Interesting, my WiFi speeds seem pretty good, still hitting 400Mbps on my laptop. It's just on my desktop where usually I can do 940Mbps no issue (with the former ER4) but now it's "limited".

That's upsetting, though on the USG-Pro could it be PPPoE overhead causing the slowdown rather than SFP?

I'm 90% certain this same issue was affecting the USG-XG-8 as well but sold it off before the UDMP SFP+ bug became an issue people talked about.
That's likely because the SFP needs to sync at 2.5Gbps, I don't think the USG Pro supports that? Much like the UDM does not either.

I'm still having some oddities though - I can't seem to reliably access the Controller/UI unless my machine is on VLAN 1 rather than my normal VLAN 10. It times out and fails to load most of the time. Perhaps related to using SFP for LAN?

Not seeing any immediate increase in Internet speed though swapping from SFP to RJ45, still getting around 600Mbps on my desktop. The speed test on the UDM is fine, gets over 1000Mbps. The Controller/UI seems a bit more stable now though.

Protect also keeps trying to start? install? Not really sure what's happening there yet, will put in a HDD later today though and try to sort it out.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Bell uses a 2.5Gbps downlink on their HH3000s? I didn't know that, and the USG-PRO speed limitation with the SFP may very well be the case.

Using the HH3000 in bridge doesn't bother me though. We'll see once the UXG non-pro is available and installed though..

Entz

Is there a way of seeing the port stats? i.e. Most switches show you both the SFP information (temp, brand, speed, etc) as well as TX/RX errors?

Does the UDM do hardware offload (perhaps its off?)

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
SFP Port stats can be seen on the switch, but even using a UI cable not all data is shown (Temps, for ex.).

Nothing on the Usg-Pro though.

Entz

Any errors? Only thing I can think of, as in its having problems and dropping packets.

Entz

On a more related question as I haven't run a Ubiquti router before. Can you use the WAN port as both the WAN and LAN where the WAN is on a separate VLAN? Or is it explicitly WAN goes to WAN and LAN goes to LAN.

This would potentially save me ports in the future (or having to get nbase-t SFP adapters), thought not a strict requirement. My modem isn't with rack stuff so I VLAN tunnel everything to there.

Latest posts