What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

Izerous

Folding Team
please post here when you find the caveats do what seems to be an amazing deal. there's gotta be some... :p

Ok not going into connection fees etc and just talking about the by the gig plans right now neither of us are heavy data users. Phone is extra right off the top everyone is doing it that way now from every retailer I talked to.

The $15 / ($0 month plan if you have an active shaw account) does not include ANY data. So your first month would be +$10 for 1GB data, which lasts 90 days or until you have consumed the full 1GB which ever comes first then your billed an extra $10 every time this happens.

So for me when most months I end up around 400-500MB my bills(not having shaw internet right now) would essentially alternate between $25 / $15 every other month as I consume the data with the occasional $25 stacked together or the rare $15 back to back.

If I was a shaw customer would just be the random $10 fees for data usage.

If you want a new phone or add-ons like visual voice mail that is all extra per month.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Ok not going into connection fees etc and just talking about the by the gig plans right now neither of us are heavy data users. Phone is extra right off the top everyone is doing it that way now from every retailer I talked to.

The $15 / ($0 month plan if you have an active shaw account) does not include ANY data. So your first month would be +$10 for 1GB data, which lasts 90 days or until you have consumed the full 1GB which ever comes first then your billed an extra $10 every time this happens.

So for me when most months I end up around 400-500MB my bills(not having shaw internet right now) would essentially alternate between $25 / $15 every other month as I consume the data with the occasional $25 stacked together or the rare $15 back to back.

If I was a shaw customer would just be the random $10 fees for data usage.

If you want a new phone or add-ons like visual voice mail that is all extra per month.
they don't have any 'payment' plans over a 24 month period?

JD

Staff member
Public Mobile is launching a $30 unlimited talk/text + 2GB data to match Lucky Mobile's similar plan. Probably the better choice for most, assuming you want a consistent bill each month. If looking to save the most though, they also both have $25/1GB plans too. Arguably, Public/Lucky are better networks as they're Telus/Bell based.

Izerous

Folding Team
they don't have any 'payment' plans over a 24 month period?

Yeah just not baked into the monthly rate anymore. Phones are being treated like an add-on now. Anything decent seems to be $15-20/mo extra which on some phones compared to buy out rate is a deal.

Side note I hate telus, I'd prefer not to be using their internet plan I don't agree with a lot of their behavious but the 2year agreement on internet Shaw simply wouldn't touch

sswilson

Staff member
ugh...Lucky & Public data is only 3G. >.<

that is SLOW!

It's not really 3G it's LTE throttled back to 3G speeds so you still get the latency benefits of 4G. I'm not really sure what "slow" would be WRT somebody with a 1 or 2GB data plan.... it's not like they're watching movies with it... hell, even a few youtube vids a month would quickly eat up a person's data.

PMs speed is perfectly fine for folks surfing or doing normal data things like surfing or checking their email....

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
there weren't any footnote indicators on the speed. where does your info on Lucky n PM data being throttled 4G come from?

I dont use a lot of data...wife does a bit more cause she streams music while walking, so the $35 2GB is attractive for me. let's me put savings over my $50 5GB plan into a new phone.

sswilson

Staff member
there weren't any footnote indicators on the speed. where does your info on Lucky n PM data being throttled 4G come from?

I dont use a lot of data...wife does a bit more cause she streams music while walking, so the $35 2GB is attractive for me. let's me put savings over my $50 5GB plan into a new phone.

I follow PM pretty closely on RFD. The "throttled 4G" info is common knowledge (there's probably a post/thread somewhere on the PM forums confirming it, but trust me..... that's what it is.... :) ).

PM does currently have a $30 2GB plan at the moment which ends up being $28 if you do autopay, and reduces by $1 every year. As I mentioned before.... if you do plan to make the jump, reach out and find a friend who's already on PM and you'll get a bonus of some kind and he/she will get a monthly reduction on their plan.

sswilson

Staff member
how do u mean it reduces every year?

There's a $1 / year loyalty reward that stacks up to 5 years.

This question about "data looks like it's on the LTE network" kinda answers the question about whether it's on a 3G or LTE network...

Strangely enough.... you can actually get higher speeds (but higher latency as well) by restricting your data to the 3G network, but again, all that's going to get you is closer to your cap quicker..... :)

Latest posts