What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

HDD Caddies for rackmounts

Izerous

Folding Team
Snooping around kijiji and stuff I came across a couple servers of interest that I could put to use but some of them are missing some / all of the HDD caddies scavanged for other computers over the years or lost i'd imagine etc.

One thing I noticed is that some models they are available on Amazon.ca however the price to get 4-8 of them would be more than the cost of the used servers themselves.

Is there a better place to pick up just HDD caddies for rackmounts if I pick up one of these servers?

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Snooping around kijiji and stuff I came across a couple servers of interest that I could put to use but some of them are missing some / all of the HDD caddies scavanged for other computers over the years or lost i'd imagine etc.

One thing I noticed is that some models they are available on Amazon.ca however the price to get 4-8 of them would be more than the cost of the used servers themselves.

Is there a better place to pick up just HDD caddies for rackmounts if I pick up one of these servers?
caddy's usually run $20 - $30 and in some cases, more.

Entz

Yeah ebay is or maybe ali-express is your best bet. It is a real pain, as you say they are worth so much they get parted out (or kept)

For some companies they only way to get caddys is to buy them attached to drives. DIY isn't really a thing in that market.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Yeah ebay is or maybe ali-express is your best bet. It is a real pain, as you say they are worth so much they get parted out (or kept)

For some companies they only way to get caddys is to buy them attached to drives. DIY isn't really a thing in that market.
fortunately there are a bazillion third party resellers that make compatible caddy's...which are usually around $20 - $30 a pop.

Entz

Indeed.

One thing to watch for is if your model needs interposers for SATA drives or not. Some backplanes will flat out refuse SATA drives so you need them to make the drives appear as SAS.

Entz

Also if you are looking at a particular model, I wouldn't hesitate looking at the servethehome or freenas forums or /r/homelab. If they are cheap and available (both the server and caddys) they likely have already been tested/reviewed by someone.

This is doubly true when it comes to noise. Nothing like finding a cheap server that has non-controllable 8500rpm 56DBA fans.

Izerous

Folding Team
This is doubly true when it comes to noise. Nothing like finding a cheap server that has non-controllable 8500rpm 56DBA fans.

The server I found is cheap but missing all caddies. 5U form factor and comparable performance / CPU. I'd expect noise to be significantly less with the larger fans instead of the 40mm screaming bashies that are in the 1U I have now which is why it peaked my interest in the first place. The sacrifice in space is irrelevant with a nearly empty 42U cabinet.

Entz

Yeah I would still double check though. 80mm is the industry standard 2U and above (usually)

Latest posts